SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jayme_smith88

Want to ditch my FL for a Speed Queen

Jayme Smith
8 years ago

I have a 9 year old LG FL machine. The rubber ring keeps getting mold/mildew even though I leave the door open and the machine just doesn't clean my cloth diapers like I think they should be cleaned. I want to get a Speed Queen instead. Would I regret that?

Comments (45)

• georgect
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

You probably wouldn't regret it.

As long as you care for it should last a good long time (8 10 13+ years depending on use).

Jayme Smith thanked georgect
  • rpsinfoman
    8 years ago

You want another FL, or are you planning on moving to a conventional TL?

• Related Discussions

Speed Queen FL Owners....

Q

Comments (2)
    I had one at an old house and I let it transfer with the house. I really regret that. It did a great job washing (although I think that's the case with all machines when used correctly and in working order). Build quality was top notch, no repairs ever. If you ever do need help, though, or have questions, phoning Speed Queen will not put you through to a clueless underpaid customer service rep. It will put you straight through to someone at the factory in Ripon, Wisconsin who knows what they're talking about. The primary business for these people is commercial laundry, they don't mess around. Similarly, as you can tell if you've seen one of these machines, they also don't mess around when it comes to the physical design of the machines. They look very utilitarian, and don't have many cycles, options, or features. That could be a deal breaker if you care about that stuff. I've had a lot of front loaders, including the Maytag Neptune, Whirlpool Duet, and LG, and while I could write pages and pages comparing and contrasting them, I'll keep it short and just say Speed Queen was the best. And for the price, it better have been. Just curious, how were your previous 2 sets of FLs fails? Performance issues, or repair issues? Although I understand your frustration I wouldn't lose faith in FLs completely, remember that these are used in laundromats all over the place and this is the only type of machine they have in Europe. Although the machines have had their shortcomings I've overall been happy with all the front loaders I've owned (though some more than others). If the design were inherently flawed, they wouldn't have made it this far.
    ...See More

Speed Queen FL vs Maytag Bravo vs Electrolux

Q

Comments (17)
    I did a lot of research on Speed Queen before I bought Maytag Bravos, including reading reviews SQ owners had posted at various websites. Lsck of capacity was not the only reason I felt SQ would not meet my needs. Lack of spin speed was another, and at least one reviewer complained about plastic parts. IMO, SQ is also over-priced. A previous poster is very mistaken in his/her comment about HE toploaders, particularly concerning Maytag Bravos. Laundry DOES move while it washes, and our comforters (including a king-size comforter) come out very clean and fresh after being washed. If one hasn't actually owned and used an HE toploader, s/he can't give an experienced review. Also -- all HE toploaders are not equal, another thing non-owners may not realize. Friends and relatives who have Oasis, Cabrio, and GE's HE toploader have reported problems I have not had with my Bravos washer. HTH
    ...See More

My three weeks (and counting) with a Speed Queen FL AFNE9BSP113TW01

Q

Comments (42)
    boba1, Nice to see all the talk about FL Speed Queens these last several months, Speed Queen was wise to bring it back and not discontinue it as it's a quality machine. Regarding your question...The Speed Queen is sitting packed up in it's original box in the cellar for the last three years as the Bosch is still running as new after the bearing replacement. I have no inclination to sell it. Edit: Just noticed this was exactly three years to the date I originally posted this thread, time flies. Jeff
    ...See More

One negative of a 2015 Speed Queen FL

Q

Comments (5)
    I would not like worrying about small items (and think about baby and toddler socks, which are even smaller) getting back behind the gasket (a/k/a boot) and in fromt of drain holes on a washer. Maybe a mesh laundry bag would be the best solution. IIRC, i used one for baby socks when our granddaughter was very young and I had to wash her entire outfit immediately :-p after a bad diaper leak on the days I kept her. FWIW, i just now Googled the problem and its not just SQ FLs. Lots of pics and solutions. Always socks. LOL . All my life i would hear people talk about washers "eating socks" when everyone had TLs. It never happened to us. I guess we were lucky.
    ...See More
  • larsi_gw
    8 years ago

The Electrolux 60 and 70 Series washers have a anti-microbial treated rubber ring. NO mold or mildew.

Jayme Smith thanked larsi_gw
  • mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Larsi, I've read that here before, but people should be aware that mold will grow in other places if the machine isn't properly cared for.

Jayme Smith thanked mamapinky0
  • Tara Blackstock
    8 years ago

What exactly is the problem with your diapers? I cloth diapered two kids with a front loader, maybe I can help?

Jayme Smith thanked Tara Blackstock
  • Jayme Smith
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I don't think I want another FL, I think I would go with a conventional TL. Tara-I've had problems with prefolds coming out of the wash with poop still on them. I feel like the machine doesn't use enough water to effectively clean them. I feel like if I had a traditional TL that it would submerge the diapers completely and that there is basically no way they wouldn't get clean.

• georgect
    8 years ago

I'm no diaper expert but do you add a Pre-Wash to the cycle and extra rinses?

• rpsinfoman
    8 years ago

Can you review your laundry procedure for diapers with us? A FL FROM 9 years ago was built well before the new energy regs. Those machines used plenty of water compared to today, and higher water temperatures. Although there are some things a TL does better, and maximum soil flushing is one of them, their will be things you'll miss about the FL.You will get acclimated to the world of TL laundry once again.

• rococogurl
    8 years ago

If I was doing diapers, I'd want a FL with a heater so I could get a true Sanitary cycle. You may get the volume and the rinsing with a TL but you won't get the water temperature or the spin so dryer times will be longer.

It's a trade off with pros and cons on each side. There are happy users of both here.

Jayme Smith thanked rococogurl
  • Tara Blackstock
    8 years ago

Here is what I did:

All number two diapers from formula or solid foods were pre-rinsed with a diaper sprayer (homemade for less than $15 and attached to the toilet). No need to rinse pee diapers or exclusively breastfed number twos.

My first cycle was a warm delicate one with warm rinse. This ensured everything was rinsed out before the actual wash cycle, delicate had a higher water level and I felt like warm helped loosen things up. I added a few tbsp of detergent to the wash.

Next cycle was a long sanitary with double rinse, detergent and Oxy Clean. That was usually sufficient but every few washes I would add an extra regular hot wash. It's so important to make sure all the detergent is rinsed out or it can irritate baby's skin and cause stink when it reacts with urine.

A note on detergent - a lot of diaper manufacturers say to use gentle ones like Charlie's or Nature Clean. IMO these don't work, they barely clean clothes so how can they clean soiled diapers! I always used powder Tide HE and Oxy Clean, and never had stink, stains or rashes.

Jayme Smith thanked Tara Blackstock
  • rococogurl
    8 years ago

@Tara Blackstock - You don't have a prerinse option for a long cycle?

• Tara Blackstock
    8 years ago

Nope, this was a FLer bought in 2007 so not a lot of bells and whistles.

I would have loved to have pre-rinse though, definitely essential for my next FLer.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

IMO.. diapers= TL....you hit the nail on the head when you said how important it is for well rinsed diapers. I hear to many complaints about rinsing issues with FL'ers. I also don't buy into that only buying a certain brand, use what works and rinse well.

• Jayme Smith
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I am doing a rinse and spin first on warm permanent press (because it has a lot of water) with a few Tbsp of Tide free and gentle. Then I do a heavy hot wash on cotton setting with Tide F&G to the appropriate size load with an extra rinse. This has been working pretty well for me lately. I also make sure all diapers are open so no poop is left behind.

• magothyrivergirl
    7 years ago

Jayme,

No you will not regret it!!!

Last week, I took delivery on a brand new set of Speed Queen TL washer & dryer, replacing my still working FL Kenmore HE3T set, purchased in 2004, for the same reasons you described (minus the poopy diapers). For the first time in 12 years, all my laundry was caught up in 2 days because it was not taking 1 1/2 - 2 hours to wash a load.

Everything is getting washed clean and drying with out wrinkling and twisting. Small loads, large loads---I am washing everything!!! I love the extra water - more the ability to control the water level. I don't feel the need to double and triple rinse every load. I love the clean smell in my very small laundry room or absence of odor. Sometimes the HE3T FL smelled so bad it made me gag! I would run a hot load cycle just to try to clean the washer - where is the savings in that???

I say run to the appliance store today and buy a Speed Queen TL and spend the extra time you'll have playing with your baby who will be dressed in sparkling clean clothes.

I also think it is becoming more difficult for Manufacturers to make traditional top load washers that meet the Energy savings standards, and one day soon we won't have the option to buy one.

I have no affiliation to Speed Queen. As a longtime member of GW, I know Speed Queen was highly recommended on this Forum for years. I have no regrets at all. The guilt of replacing a working washer & dryer only lasted until I did the first wash load in the Speed Queen.

Jayme Smith thanked magothyrivergirl
  • mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Rivergirl, such passion, lol...I also have a newish Speed Queen TL'er the AWN432 MY clothing and linens are gloriously clean and well rinsed. I have always used a TL'er, well except in 1980 when I was given an older Westinghouse FL but we can't count that since it used water lol....I'm happy to hear your liking your new machine, its as close as we will get to a old skool machine in todays market. But I will say....if I could find a Miele that I could afford, which won't happen, I'd have two machines running...I like a machine that has a boil wash option and uses enough water to be beneficial...never thought I'd want, truely want a Miele...but as often as I boil wash...on the stove...this would be nice...anyway sorry to sway off topic here....lol...I'm inclined to do that. Congrats on your new Queens!

• Jayme Smith
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yeah my main hang up is that our FL still works. I am trying to convince my hubby to get a SQ and have two machines but I don't know how well that is going to work! I also cannot stand how all the clothes get tangled in the FL.

• magothyrivergirl
    7 years ago

I started out with the same 'suggestion' to keep the FL for huge things and get the SQ for everyday. It quickly went to No! Just get the SQ - but get rid of the FL. Okay!! I felt so wasteful--for a day. I cleaned out behind that rubber ring and cut my hand for the last time & the next day I bought the SQ. I could never do sheets or towels on the same day as clothes because of how long it took. For the last 10 days, it isn't even a thought to plan washing into the schedule of life. It just happens, like normal, between other activities.

I'm also going to be a Grandmother (yippee!) and I had said, I would never feel comfortable washing baby clothes or diapers in my FL. because of the yukky drum, slime & mold in areas I couldn't reach.

And don't even get me started on the wear & tear and holes in our clothes. I hand washed too many of my nice clothes. (Yes, I had delicate cycles-all the bells & whistles. It worked like it was suppose to--it was just crummy!)

Good luck in your decision. It is not an easy one; I already regret not replacing them sooner. It would have saved countless hours & frustration. You'll know when you are ready.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Roc, problem is many of us can't afford the FL machine that will actually do the job correctly if you choose a FL ...a Miele..I'm not sure after reading reviews and listening to people that I would want any FL other than a Miele..as for clothes be handled more gently...probably if its one that uses enough water to buffer the clothes..again I only see Miele doing this...but maybe I haven't paid close enough attention lol.

• poppy214
    7 years ago

The average lifespan of today's frontloaders is ten years. That is not to say some do not live longer. However, it is not unlikely that you will have an expensive repair on that LG within the foreseeable future. How are you going to do diapers if there is no washer? Laundromat is not a good option for diapers and baby clothes. Go Speed Queen.

Jayme Smith thanked poppy214
  • mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Hehe...yes get your Queen.

• rococogurl
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Bosch did a good job for me and it was affordable. The Asko wasn't outrageous though expect it might be now -- not sure. Then there's Electrolux which should be within reach.

But those with families who do tons of laundry need larger capacity washers. I understand.

So SQ is a good alternative in that case. But mamapinky had a bad experience with her queenie and it's needed repair within the first year!

There is no perfect choice.

But again, I would not go back to a top loader. We used SQ washers in our apartment house for years and I had stinky sheets as the wash temperatures were not hot enough. It took the FL with the onboard heater to get those clean and deodorized.

A lot depends on needs. Those with babies should want hot washes. I would.

Just adding to the conversation so there's a balance of opinions. But I can understand how someone is finished with one kind of machine and wants to move on.

Jayme Smith thanked rococogurl
  • boba1
    7 years ago

I love my Whirlpool WFW97. I cannot imagine me EVER getting another top loader. I love that the washer heats water to 100, 120, 130, and 153 degrees and steam. I had a Frigidaire before without a heater. Never again a washer without a heater. And before that was my direct drive Lady Shredmore!! Never a water hog top loader again. I cannot imagine doing diapers any oth3er way. Prewash, Sanitize with steam/stain treat and 3 rinses. Wash the load of diapers over night like Europeans do loads that take a while Time management.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

I will add...I love my Queen but a TL is all I know, but I understand water temps and the struggle with a TL'er...my water tank is as high as I dare, so I get around 133F in the washer. For sheets expecially I like it 140F so as many of you know I boil a huge soup pot and dump it in. Fact is I'm 60 and this has started to become a problem. So as much as I like a TL...I would dearly love a heater, on the other hand I also want a good amount of water and I'm not willing to give up either one IF I bought a FL'er. Cant really believe I'm saying this but a Miele would give me both, am I correct? But than the electrical work involved would be a headache that I'm not ready to think about...just too bad there wasn't a way to add a heater to my Queen. I'm just thinking here folks, pros and cons with me and a Miele, and right now the cons have to win out...but I sure would love a boil wash....lol

• rococogurl
    7 years ago

@mamapinky - You are always welcome to take a little "road trip" with some laundry and try out my Miele to see what you think. It's a bit of a drive but more or less straight across 84.

What a shame @boba1's Whirlpool Duet has been discontinued. That gives the big capacity and has the heater. And affordable. No wonder folks like their Duets.

The thing with FL vs TL. You don't look at how much water is used because the action of the machine is different. It's a sideways tub vs a up and down tub. You will initially look at the water level and think the clothes could never get clean. But the offset is that the cycles are much longer and the cleaning action requires less water because the clothes are tumbling horizontally in the water against the fins -- like the old hitting on a rock. And the long cycle also acts like a kind of soak, especially with prewash.

More water is needed in a tall and narrow tub where clothes go around the agitator.

Last week I did a strip load with no detergent, just softener. Those towels had been perfectly rinsed. There were a few bubbles during the wash cycle but no soap. So while I don't ever see a tub full of water, there is enough to get excellent rinsing. That was my beef with the Asko. It used so little water if I had a load with something thick, it didn't get fully wet. The offset was that machine had a 203F wash -- literally boil wash and the temperature was fully adjustable for any cycle. Of course, the delicate cycles never worked (like on suburbanmd's Asko that went back) but that's another story.

Also, the high speed spin -- and there are several in each cycle -- really pulls residual water and that supports the rinsing.

Unlike Larsi's machine, which has the big heater, mine plugs into a regular outlet.

Miele gives temps close to 160F. The glass in the door actually gets that hot.

Trick would be to find a floor model or a deal like Alex got. I've seen those deals where folks sell new or almost new stuff.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Thank You Roc, would love to visit you, sadly won't be in the cards this year, but who knows what next summer will bring....actually I need to get Amiee to her doctors in Boston next summer, that sure will skim your state lol.

Are you saying they made Mieles that plug into a regular outlet and not a 220/240 outlet?? Maybe I should save, or take in ironing again for folks and start searching craigs list LOL...

Roc, I could also get an old wringer washer and fill it with boiling water but again that's carrying huge pots. Lol. I just don't understand why someone hasn't invented a gadget to heat water in a TL ...kinda like a heater for an aquarium LOL

• sashanikki
    7 years ago

I am still loving my old school top loader, but I have to admit I almost bought the speed queen this past week since I'm a little afraid it will be dumbed down before I need it. Then again, an ad I saw in craigslist this past week had me investigating how to move my laundry room down to the basement level. (the set is in Washington,D.C. so quite a drive for me).

Miele Washer and Drier. $500 per appliance or $750 for the set. Set was purchased a year ago, but never hooked up.
    The washing machine is the Miele Professional PW 6065 Plus (http://www.miele-professional.co.uk/washing-machines/pw6065-145/).

The dryer is the Miele Touchtronic t8023c (http://www.amazon.com/Miele-T8023C-Touchtronic-Stackable-Electric/dp/B00ELFDYMG)

Ultimately I decided not to, but it was tempting.

• Alex Chicago
    7 years ago

If those prices are right ($750 for the set) you should run, not walk, to check it out, even you ultimately just sell it off to someone else. The washer alone retails for almost $4,000 new and the dryer is $1200 I believe. The prices have me thinking it could be a scam, but you never know.

• sashanikki
    7 years ago

I wondered about a scam too, but miele doesn't seem to get too much love around here. I'm not sure why. And the poster spelled dryer wrong, but maybe someone in a hurry.

• Alex Chicago
    7 years ago

Miele not getting much love? lol. You haven't read enough threads. Several rabid owners of Miele (guilty). But that's an incredibly good deal.

• sashanikki
    7 years ago

Lol. I meant where I live. Reading the threads here made me want one, until I realized how expensive it would be to move the laundry area. I did email the poster, so I'll let you all know. We'll see if I get an answer or lots of spam email.

• rococogurl
    7 years ago

@pinky - if you are going to boston the route would be to pass exit on the thruway and I'm 9 minutes from there. So whenever!

My machine plugs into a regular outlet. I had to install it, though, because the Asko needed a 240V outlet which was there.

I could not carry huge pots of water and, going forward, I can tell you that it's important to modify activities to avoid arm and leg strains. Those came out of nowhere lately -- bless Larsi he has such great suggestions.

But does anyone know if the Whirlpool duets with heaters are still made? That would give capacity and internal heater. And be a reasonable price I should think.

• Alex Chicago
    7 years ago

@sashanikki Sorry for the misunderstanding. Duh. Hadn't had my coffee yet and feeling the effects of entertaining visiting family too late into the evening last night. Please let us know what you find out! If the machines are legit and priced at that level, it's almost too good to pass up.

@Roc - Whirlpool still makes the Duet line, absolutely.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

There has been a number of Miele scams over the past few years, most in NY...comparsion of different listings have showed the same machine over and over again...be careful

• boba1
    7 years ago

@roc. Yes Duets with heaters are still very much produced as are Maytag Maximas. If I had to do it again, I'd get the Maytag Maxima TOL front loader

• magothyrivergirl
    7 years ago

My FL that I ditched was a Duet made for Sears. The manuals were Duet. Mine did have a 2 hour sanitizing setting that I did use routinely. 2 hours to wash kitchen towels with not enough water - hot or not, never got them stain free and did not get the washer clean. And if you left the load in the washer with the door closed for anytime at all -- stinky!! And a rewash. My manual said to check under the rubber ring if you washed small items. I hated that washer!!! I think I hate it more now that it is gone! :)

I'm sure there are great FL's made. I have a Miele vacuum I love, but it was very expensive. I never looked at the Miele washers. I admit, when I finally decided to get rid of the FL, I did not shop for anything other than the Speed Queen thanks to the information shared on this forum over the years. I was delighted to find a local dealer who also does their own service. I have followed pinky's "adventures", and still bought a Speed Queen. I am hoping for a positive outcome for you.

I am watching out for any signs of a problem-so far none. I did buy the AWNE92 - electronic controls - the longer warranty sold me, as I intended to get the manual controls. It does have hot wash, but my hot water out of the bathroom faucet measures 130. I'm going to measure the hot wash next time. I did measure the 'cool' wash - it was 62 and it felt warmish to me, so that is the cycle I am going to try for our clothes. I think washing and rinsing in cold water causes wrinkles.....but that could have just been the FL. I am re learning how to do laundry. At least it is fast and I can open the lid and watch!

My FL had a dark smoked lid and I could not see anything inside even shining a flashlight thru it.

Jayme - still no regrets ditching the FL! In fact I feel stupid putting up with it for so long.

• larsi_gw
    7 years ago

MamaP....YES!! You can get a Miele washer that just plugs right in the wall, and they have internal water heaters, and the Sanitize Cycle at 158/160F meets NSF requirements!! With the water temp. maintained, and those temps...You would NEVER need to boil water again, or babysit the machine!

Also Roc is right, with the somewhat longer wash times, the wash cycle acts as a Soak too. You could literally put in your laundry, choose your liquid or powder detergent, close the door with a Miele click/thunk, Select your cycle and hit start! DONE! Oh, Mama you will have died and gone to heaven with a Miele, even an older one that has been cared for or lovingly restored, would be a great deal. :)

• Alex Chicago
    7 years ago

MamaP, do you have space in your laundry room for for a small, sturdy table? If so, I would highly recommend that you purchase a single burner induction hob. I have one that sells for around $80 and use it when I'm cooking a lot and need an additional burner OR when it's so blasted hot that I just can't stand to see a flame burning in the kitchen. It can bring 10qt of water to a boil very fast and the surface never gets hot enough to cause a fire or serious burns. The only catch is that you can only use them with magnetic cooking materials (such as stainless steel). As one of your adoptive sons I'd be much more comfortable knowing you were only carrying the boiling kettles a few inches rather than across the kitchen!

You know I would absolutely love for you to get a Miele (or another Euro FL such as an older Asko like Donna and Sandy have, for example). If you can find a 240v Miele at a good price, don't let the electrical scare you. Since you live in a house, rather than a condo, running a new circuit is a breeze since you can run the wires through the basement or crawlspace. My dilemma was that I had to go behind finished walls (no other way) and drill through studs AND run conduit to be up to code. However, I understand that desires and reality are not always aligned so that's why I bring up the induction hob. If you decide you want to find a good deal on a restored or floor model, you know Adam, Jane and I will do our best to help you find something! Seriously!

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Alex Thank you I am going to check into this induction hob sounds perfect for me. Yes I could fit a small very small table next to the washer..so awesome Thank You.

Kids Mama will keep her eyes open on craigs list ect for a boiling machine but it probably like looking for a needle in a haystack. But I'll watch for one..Thanks.

• suburbanmd
    7 years ago

Those are old. The W1926 ad says 15 years old. The W4840 ad doesn't say, but probably going on 10 years. I've seen forum posts saying that Miele may not be willing to fix machines that old. If they will, it'll probably cost a fortune. So they may be perfectly good machines, but it's risky.

Owning a W4840 myself, I can say there's a big difference between it and a Little Giant. The W1926 looks like it would be fun to use, based on the manual

http://www.mieleusa.com//MieleMedia//docs//operatinginstructions////Laundry/Washers/Retired%20models%20manuals/Washer%20W1926_us.pdf

and the flip side of its age is that it may be generous with water. Rated load is 2.8 kW, which probably translates to 2000W heater.

• Alex Chicago
    7 years ago

Old, sure, but also not at all expensive (especially the w1926). If MamaP is only looking for a machine to occasionally help her do a boil wash without bringing soup kettles to the laundry, this might be a suitable option. Agree that it probably has generous water usage given the age. I'd be much more interested in the w1926 -- even though it's older -- than the w4840.

• suburbanmd
    7 years ago

I seem to recall that mamapinky has room for only one washer.