SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karchar1012

Your experiences with unkept neighbors and home resale

Hi all,

I've widely appreciated GardenWeb's forum for all kinds of advice- so thanks in advance. This is a sensitive subject for me and I'd like advice from people who have experiences with reselling when neighbors' properties are less than ideal.

Description:

We purchased a home almost 2 years ago and have been doing DIY and inexpensive cosmetic updates. I think my selections will appeal to a broad audience and I enjoy them too. We have also developed a lovely backyard from what was neglected and needed refinishing- but again, modest costs. The home was built in the 60s but has newer roof, hot water, furnace and appliances so it doesn't need major updates (these were done by former owner). Overall, in my opinion, it is an attractive house and stands out. It was also affordable as we are a one income family with small children who didn't want to be house poor, but it is in a fantastic school district. The neighborhood is a mixture of older empty nesters and newer families moving in. In the neighborhood, newer homes exist that are much pricier. A good number of the homes in the area need updates, but inventory is low so homes (from my perception on zillow) that have modest updates (kitchen and baths) that are priced right sell quickly.

Cons:

Our neighbors are hoarders. They were messy when we bought the house (tent with items in it), but the hoarding behavior has quickly escalated since purchasing and they purchased a second tent in the front yard (total code violation by the way). They have an adult daughter and child living with them so I assume that when she moved in it was to store her items. They are quiet people, able bodied (other than the likely mental health disorder that comes with the hoarding) and do some home maintenance. For example, they do care for their lawn.

As a person who prefers order, it does bother me. It bothers my husband too. When we purchased the home, it was affordable and the only home that suited us (again, low inventory) and we didn't overpay. There was a bidding war on this house (it was priced low to sell perhaps) and it sold in one day- we barely overbid the other individuals. We thought we would be able to overlook it, but it has surprised us how much of our time and energy we spend talking about it. On one hand, we have learned the lesson of really taking neighboring homes seriously, but on the other hand, we have provided a good home for our children and some really lovely engaging neighbors too that have made it a pleasure.

So, I am looking for advice or experiences related to resale. We are looking at moving in the next 1-2 years, probably to relocate to either a larger home that can host more or it is always possible we could be relocated for a different job. How much do you think neighbors will affect our home sale? We will price right and reasonably. And, it would make a lovely starter home for families hoping to get into the school district and kid-friendly area.

I wonder whether it is my personality that finds fault (and probably many people on here who are on a housing forum who care) with the aesthetic choices of our neighbor. Some buyers will be turned off, I am sure. One of our other neighbors who has to view it from her kitchen window isn't bothered that much by it.

Anyway, maybe some thoughts or experiences can generate a discussion for me to reflect on the best way to view this situation.

Comments (34)