SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
house_in_the_woods

New lawn is dying - What can we do?

Danielle
8 years ago

Last June we had our entire back "yard" excavated. We spent nearly 4 long years chopping down trees to even get to that point, but I digress. The landscaper who did the work put down some kind of fast growing seed and hay here and there to help with erosion until we could finish things up. At the very end of August we put down 4 inches of screened soil and hydroseed. I realize summer is the worst time to try to start a lawn but this was when the landscaper got us in and because our entire backyard is a hill (we live on a mountain) we had to contend with things like erosion and the very real threat of heavy rains washing away all of the new (very expensive) soil we put down. He lives nearby and assured us that our timing was fine given our conditions. Anyways, new grass took ok after a rocky start but was sparse. We had a limited budget left after the excavation so maybe the hydroseed was spread thinner than it should be, but from the beginning we had a lot of thin areas in our new lawn. We gave it time and thought maybe we should just overseed like crazy this Spring, but DH has been throwing down seed here and there and crabgrass is already taking over, grass is dying, and we have a lot of thin and patchy areas. DH is talking about hiring a pro to deal with it because he's so frustrated. Is that the only way to go at this point? Neither of us are very plant savvy and I have a deadly record with all things green.

For reference we're in SE PA and our property is on a wooded lot, so it's very shaded and the ground stays wet pretty long after heavy rains. When we get really heavy rain we have water pool in the back a little, but the excavation has helped with that a bit and now there's a swail around the side of the house. We had a lot of trouble getting grass to take off in that area right behind the house at the bottom of the hill and it's still one of the patchiest areas. Our neighbors admit to having to reseed their lawns every few years.

We just had a new fence put in so I just have these photos I took a week or so ago, but you can see the problem pretty clearly I think. Don't mind the well pipe... we haven't had a chance to cut it down yet (the old ground was level with that before the excavation!)

Comments (3)