SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cricket5050

My kitchen cabinet dilemma - dingy.

cricket5050
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

My kitchen looks great with quartz countertops, tile backsplash and new stainless appliances. We are selling the house this late summer/fall and I read an article when you sell a house usually you are selling a kitchen.

That was an interesting article and eye opening.

My kitchen cabinets are white and they look dingy to me. They are in great shape just need work. I have a gas stove and I know there is residue on the many of the top cabinets above the stove. I can't get it off. I have tried everything. In some light, the cabinets look good but other times you can see the blemishes and dingyness. (new word) A person who is not picky would probably never notice. A real estate agent would probably see it immediately. I have thought about reducing the light in my kitchen as an option.

So now, I am thinking of painting the cabinets. By myself. Going back to the same white color. This will be a huge job since I have a big kitchen with lots of drawers and cabinets. I don't want to buy a sander since I will only use it once. If I paint the cabinets can I hand sand since I will be going back to the same color?

Does anyone have suggestions for me? Is there a product I can use to clean and bring back my cabinets without painting? I have tried everything on the grease and it is built on and does not come off. I can't scrape it off. Will TSP do this without damaging the surface? Is there a miracle product out there that revitalizes the surface?

Paying someone to refinish the cabinets is not an option since we are this close to selling the house. Only DIY.

My cabinets are wood, custom made and the original paint was sprayed.

I DO NOT want to paint. Help!

Comments (17)