SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dan_gour

In desperate need of advice reviving my lawn

dan_gour
8 years ago

Hi all, new to this forum and looking desperately for help

I'm in Atlantic Canada and we built a new home 2 summers ago. I had a new lawn sodded with Kentucky blue grass in early fall of 2014. The lawn never really took off per say. I followed the instructions to water regularly and the landscaper applied lime and fall fertilizer. I was told that by spring my Grass should come in strong and thick. Well it never really did. I watered regularly through the summer twice a week deeply unless we got heavy rain. I applied fertilizer once a month ( I believe I may have put a little more than was called for on the bag). All summer it was ugly, dull yellowish brown through with no growth.. yesterday my father came with his john deer lawn tractor and dethatcher attachment. It didn't pull much up so I stared using a heavy steel rake and I was pulling up wheel barrows full of loose yellow grass every 10 or so squared feet. I couldn't believe it. I stopped after 20 mins because I only got a small area done. With this said I have a few questions. 1. Will a power rake work better for me. 2. Should I areate 3. Is there anything else I can do to save my lawn or is it better to cut the sod out and start over. Will some photos of the lawn in its current state help ? Thanks in advance for your time.

Comments (10)