SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robmorren2

Desperately in need of a lawn revival plan (Northern Indiana)

Rob M
6 years ago

Ok, I've been googling like crazy and can't find a solid consensus on what to do to revive my lawn. I live in a subdivision setting that was built over a former cornfield in northern Indiana. The lawn wasn't rolled sod or anything, and it's current state is definitely not what I'd call "turf". It has quite a bit of dandelions, clover, and other unknown things that aren't grass. However, I believe there is enough grass for it to be saved, rather than nuked and rebuilt.

So, what I'm working with ... I purchased a core aerator as well as a de-thatcher. I do not have a built in sprinkler system. I have a Deere 42" riding mower, and I just sharpened the blades. I usually mulch, but I have a bagger system that can be put on. I have no clue what type(s) of grass I currently have, but I don't think there's a consensus. Definitely a mix. The weather has been extremely rainy this spring. The ground is soft, and temperatures have been cool. I've already mowed a few times this year.

My current plan (which is just a grab bag of googled ideas) is to mow the lawn short. Then, dethatch and bag the refuse. After that, I was going to aerate like a madman, and then overseed with a broadcast spreader.

I'm guessing there are flaws or missing steps in my plan, so PLEASE help! Some questions I have.

1. Should I overseed, or just put down weed killer and then overseed in the fall. Or will overseeding help more with my weed problem?

2. Fertilizer, do I need it, and what kind?

3. If I overseed, do I add any type of pre emergent or any type of herbicide?

4. Do I need to water daily after aerating and/or overseeding? Lugging sprinklers around the yard will suck, so how necessary is it if the weather isn't completely dry?

5. Seed - what type should I use for overseeding. I always just grabbed some box store "sun & shade" mix in the past. What brands or mixes work best? My backyard has no shade, and the sun hits it directly. My most available suppliers for seed would be Menard's, Walmart, or Lowe's. If those aren't good options, there are Farm and Lawn stores, but I'll need to know what to ask for.

Ok, this is super long. Any help is appreciated. Hopefully I can stay motivated from now until the snow returns! Thanks in advance!

Comments (28)