SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnnm

Need Advice: December College Graduations Out Of State

LynnNM
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

How did you handle you son's or daughter's? When our DS graduated from the University of Oklahoma, back a number of years ago, his was the standard May graduation. We had a party catered in Norman, where the university is, and then another here at home when he came back for the Summer before grad school.

Our DD, though, will be graduating in December from the same university, due to her deciding to go for a dual major. I've just gotten off the phone with the Graduation Office there and they won't even be setting a firm date until August or September. But, I did get a pretty good "ballpark guesstimate" of Friday and Saturday December 16th-17th. OMG, that's just a week before Christmas!!! And, from the sounds of it, most all the kids will be heading home as soon as possible for the holidays, as their finals are Dec.12-16. We, of course, will have celebratory dinners with DD at two of the nicer restaurants there both evenings, but then what?

Oh, more info to factor in: DD will be heading home with us (actually, following us in her own car) right after graduation for the holidays, but will be back in Norman when everyone goes back after Winter Break around January 18th. She'll be staying in her same rented house with her same roomies for Spring Semester. Hopefully working while she waits to head to grad school in the Fall of 2017, as most grad schools/students start then and not in January.

Here are the options I can come up with at the moment:

#1 : OU is an 8 1/2 hour drive for us. Driving back there in late-January to hold a party for her then will just turn into a big college party with us, as the only parents or family there. Doesn't sound like a great idea that will appeal to DD, but it is doable.

#2: Give DD a certain amount of money for her to throw herself a graduation party for her many good friends at OU, either at her house (it's quite large and very nice) or at a local hangout once she gets back and things settle down. That makes me kind of sad to think about, but she may not think so.

#3: And, throw her a graduation party here sometime after the holidays, before she heads back. We host Christmas Day with dinner here every year. That wouldn't be a good time to have it, as folks are having their own celebrations that day, but perhaps on the 28th or 29th, or in early-January.

BTW, when I ask DD about this for her opinion, she just tells me she has no idea! That she's too busy with classes, projects, papers, studying, meetings, and her volunteer work (with at-risk teens) to make those kinds of decisions. She wants me to cull it down to just a couple good, doable ideas, and for me to then handle all the ensuing details.

Sadly, none of my very large family, or DH's very small family, lives anywhere in New Mexico or Oklahoma. They're scattered all over the country. Three of DD's grandparents have passed and my father is very ill and not able to travel. And, at that time of year, I can't expect anyone to fly in for either the graduation ceremony or for a party in January. it's a bad time to travel, holiday-wise and weather-wise. Her brother, plus her big and little (sorority) sisters, her 3 roomies and a few friends that actually all live in the Norman area will most likely be the only other ones at her ceremony with us.

Am I making too much of all of this? I hope not. DD has worked hard and done really well at college, making the Dean's List many times and being very involved with on-campus student organizations and her sorority all 4+ years. I think she deserves us to celebrate her graduation . . . but how at that crazy, busy time of the year?????

I realize that this may seem too early for me to be fretting about this, but I feel the need to get started and make some decisions soon before all the Christmas craziness gets in the way. Any ideas, and/or any similar experiences and solutions would be very much appreciated! Thanks :~ )

Lynn

Comments (19)