SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
herus_gw

Switch out of State Farm?

herus
16 years ago

Have been with them for about 20 yrs. Early, early on they nearly dropped us due to my wife being a new driver who had more accidents than they believed was normal. I pleaded and they recanted.

Now, with 2 cars and the home insured with them, I have never really shopped them. But our agent retired a couple of years ago and was replaced by a seeming go-getter, who insists on having her staff call us (and of course all other clients) and ask for appointments so they can sell us more.

We don't have time to pander to insurance sales quotas. I can't believe they are doing this "for us" as they say, otherwise the first agent would have done so. She NEVER called us for 10 years and I preferred it that way, although the staff was very responsive when we called. (that staff is more or less the same btw)

As many here have noted during a quick search I did, their rates have been rising steadily. We have had one home claim to the tune of about $6K (frozen pipe in bmt) and one auto claim last year (my fault) for about the same amount. They were ok to deal with, not fantastic but no real complaints.

We have some sort of preferred standing with the Mutual part of the company now. I suppose this is a bit of a gimmick (or maybe not) to dissuade you from switching, and I must say it has worked. Till now... this over-hungry agent is the straw that might cause this camel to switch and hopefully save some money in the bargain.

I saw where Costco sells insurance... we are members and that would be interesting, as our overall Costco experience is very good.

What other recommendations might y'all make? We are mid-forties, two kids, one licensed but not on auto policy yet (and likely not going to be even at college as no need to be).

Excellent credit (really) and accident/ticket free for ~15 years except for the one last year.

Comments (28)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert
More Discussions