SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathsgrdn

Anyone have State Farm insurance?

Kathsgrdn
11 years ago

I called KY Farm Bureau to ask how much it would cost to put my son back on my other car. It's crazy. It's so much that the lady helping me suggested I look into Progressive and State Farm for a quote. It's a lot cheaper than KFB. Not only is it cheaper but mine would be cheaper too. It would only be $66 per month with both cars insured, with Alex on my account, if I switch my home insurance too.

So, now I'm wondering if anyone has had any bad experiences with State Farm? In the meantime I just put collision in my name back on the old car with KFB. Alex needs to use the car for a job interview tomorrow, then next week I'll put him on it as a secondary driver probably with State Farm.

I want him to be more independent so do I save him money by putting him on my insurance or put the car in his name and let him get his own insurance. The initial payment I would have to pay since he isn't working yet. But then after that he would be on his own. I think that would be good for him. He is also thinking of moving out with his friends. One of their parents has a house they want to rent. So, I guess that is two questions, what would you do? State Farm says we can legally keep him under my name if the car is in my name even after he moves out of my house. Would save money but then he would still be somewhat dependent on me. I could ask for his portion of the money but then I am still in control, know what I mean? Otherwise he would have to come up with almost $77 a month on a minimum wage job. He wouldn't be able to work full time while he went back to school in the Fall either. But then he would have part of what was left over from his school loan to help....

Part of me says save the money and help a little bit longer..the other part says let him take care of it himself. Other kids his age (20) are much more independent than he is at this time.

P.S. we picked up Lauren's paperwork to get her learner's permit today-SCARY!

Comments (32)