SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrspete

Please look at my Great Room

mrspete
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

First, here's the plan:

We're making a number of small changes throughout the house, but right now I'm focusing on JUST the Great Room. I think I'm good at spacial layouts ... but have a big blind spot when it comes to arrangement of Great Rooms. In this situation, I have two concerns:

- Does this Great Room need another 2" or so of width?

- Where should the fireplace and shelving go?

Details set fairly well in stone:

- We're putting in a wall between the Kitchen and the Great Room. This will be a solid wall; no pass-through, etc.

- We will have a sliding glass door in what is shown above as the Breakfast Room; we grill out frequently and want direct access to outside. As such, we don't really need the exterior door in the Great Room -- I want the light, but I'm open to keeping this as a sliding glass door, making it into a bank of windows, or going with a window seat across this spot.

- This set of doors /windows will open onto a patio -- uncovered, so southern light will come in from this back side.

- The two interior doors -- one from the Foyer and one into the Breakfast area -- will remain in their current spots.

- The plan shows a cathedral ceiling. We'd like some sort of a "special" ceiling in this room, but we are open to something other than a cathedral.

Now for pictures ...

In my current house, my Great Room is only slightly larger than this one: 15'6x19' , and it's always arranged in one of these two ways -- either one is comfortable. You can tell that the black square is the fireplace (flanked by windows). The red is the TV and the blue squares are a sofa, loveseat and recliner:

This new house's Great Room will be similar in size, and at first glance I thought I was happy with the idea that the TV, shelves, and furniture would all fall to the left side ... and we'd have a nice walkway behind these items, straight to the back windows/door.

But now I'm wondering if this isn't too cramped ... or if the dimensions are off a little. In my current house, the breakfast room is connected to this space, but 19' is fairly wide for a furniture arrangement.

Oh, and a large Grandfather Clock must be given a place of honor somewhere in this room. Both my husband and I adore the clock.

Possibility 1 -- Wall full of fireplace, TV & shelving -- TV in red, plain shelves in green -- Window seat against the back wall -- Sofa & loveseat floating -- this seems to make the "walkway" too narrow; thus, I'm thinking this would be better if we added a couple feet to the width:

Possibility 2: TV and shelving to the right of the fireplace -- closed-door cabinet (perhaps shoulder-high?) on the side wall, which would square the room up a bit AND would give some good storage -- and then the furniture seems to fall into place more nicely.
Possibility 3: Flip the fireplace and TV to the other side of the room. Benefit: Now the sofa & other seating fall nicely into the back of the room, eliminating the need for the walkway behind the sofa. Negative: The fireplace and TV must fit onto a smaller wall (though still probably 12' or so?). I've retained the side-wall cabinet here.
Or do you see a Possibility 4? Perhaps a combination of two of the above? I'm open to different furniture combinations, a sectional, or whatever.

Thanks for your ideas.

Comments (6)