SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rykeelty

Building just a shell

rykeelty
8 years ago

My wife and I have a lot in Winter Park, and are trying to figure out if we can afford to build on it. Our funds are limited to about $150k. We want to have a contractor build just the outer shell (foundation, walls, and roof, with utils roughed in). We are pretty handy, having built decks, finished basements, remodeled bathrooms, etc., so we feel like we can handle the interior over time.

Permits and fees are roughly $40,000, which takes us down to $110k for building. We would like to have a simple 1500sf ranch style main floor sitting on a full walk out basement of similar size. We don't need a garage at this point. Doing the math, and including basement footage as just normally priced footage, this divides out to $36.67/sf, which seems pretty low.

However, maybe basement footage isn't as expensive to build as above grade footage. Taking a shot in the dark about what it costs to excavate and build the footing for a walk-out, I could assume $30k. Subtracting that from the $110k gives $80k left for building. Dividing that by the 1500sf of main floor construction yields $53/sf, which starts to seem more practical.

Does anyone know the best way to estimate costs for this idea, and if it's even feasible from a cost perspective?

Thanks!
Ryan Smith

Comments (35)