SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spacific_gw

Architect hiring question

spacific
12 years ago

A bit of background...

A while back I posted some preliminary floorplan drawings for a garage with a studio/apartment above. After much reworking, including creating the 3D rendering in Google SketchUp, I am ready to finalize the design and produce the final plans.

Yesterday, I met with an architect to review my work to this point and interview him to see if he's the right person to take the project to final design. The interior of the studio will be finished out at a later point, but I provided a finished interior layout so that plumbing and electrical plans could be drawn.

I was expecting a fee higher than what a draftsperson or residential designer would cost, but when his quote came in today, it was basically 10% of the estimated cost of the completely finished building (not just the shell), and as if it was done with the same finish quality of the main house (slate floors/hardwood floors, marble counters, custom cabinets) yet we discussed that it will be more of a basic studio workspace (vinyl floor, builders grade fixtures, etc).

We will be GCing the project and pulling permits, working with the city.

In the meeting, the architect offered that there was actually very little that he would change with my design... that it was "90% there."

So my question is... I'm not willing to pay his full amount since the scope of work is much less. I did happily pay him his hourly rate for the meeting yesterday. He provided very knowledgeable comments and has experience working in our area with its city/neighborhood building restrictions.

So do I...

A. Go through the contract, striking items that do not need to be done by him and try to negotiate a lower fee?

B. Hire him at his hourly rate for what is basically a residential designer plus?

C. Hire a draftsperson to draw and structural engineer to calculate and skip the architect altogether?

D. None of the above

Comments (16)