SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_26630

Verbal offer situation

Bama Boy
8 years ago

Long time reader, first time poster! Just looking for some input/experiences with verbal offers. Here is my situation. Live in a small town in Alabama with a pretty weak/slow market. We were on the market a couple of years ago, pulled out, and now we have been back on for a little over a month.

I have read much information about verbal vs written offers and I totally agree with the desire/need for written offers. However, the custom in this market seems to be to present verbal offers. In this small market, all the agents know and "trust" the others it seems. We had one low ball offer two years ago and it was presented verbally, as was the counter offer. We ended up thousands of dollars apart from their final offer and our bottom number.

Now we have a new agent and we had an offer a couple of weeks ago which again was presented to us verbally over the phone. This brings me to another situation in that this verbal offer was presented, we countered, the buyer then wanted to bring her father the next morning to see it, and within an hour after that showing we were informed that the buyer had decided on another house!

Despite the apparent local custom of presenting verbals, should I insist on written offers only? Also, how common is the scenario with being presented an offer one day and deciding on another house the next? Would a written offer have made any difference? It seems it is really easy for one to make a verbal offer(s) as opposed to putting your name on it and putting it in writing. Thanks in advance and I value the input of each of you!

Comments (25)