SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hji1945

Need help with Bermuda lawn

Jae Hong
8 years ago

Hi. I live in 93314 - Bakersfield, CA. We bought a new house in 2014 with Bermuda lawn. I have been trying to take care of our lawn since the beginning but it is just getting worse and worse every year go by. I am starting to feel like maybe I should just give up?

1. Not knowing anything about grass nor lawn last year, I threw down Fescue seed from Scotts in the middle of summer of 2015. I believe all the fescue grass is coming up now from the nice weather, between 70 ~ 80.

2. I switched to manual reel mower starting this year, March, thinking it will be better for the grass than Craftsman Rotary mower. I used to cut the grass around 2"+, last year, but this year after dormant, I start to cut my lawn at 1".

3. Last week, 4/4/2016, I gave Milorganite, double the recommended amount from the bag.

4. We have lots of ladybugs in the lawn, if that matters.

5. During the winter, January, I sprayed round-up to my grass because there was either rye or fescue coming up when the bermuda was dormant.

So. At this point, do I need to just wait until the weather gets much warmer? Or should I be doing something else? I am worrying that maybe the bermuda grass wasn't fully dormant when I sprayed the round-up and I killed half of my grass? Should I rake all the dead grass up?

Lastly, sorry about my grammar.

Comments (13)