SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juddgirl2

Will a poster bed work with quartersawn oak Mission dressers?

juddgirl2
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

DH and I purchased a very well made quartersawn oak bedroom set when we first married 16 years ago. Dove-tailed drawers with solid wood construction, heavy wood, beautiful grain and cherry stain color, quality hardware, etc. The manufacturer is Tree Crowns Amish Furniture, in the American Mission line. It's lifetime furniture really, and so well made that it's still in great condition even though I'm ready for a change, unfortunately.

We have this spindle bed, bureau, grand chest and 2 nightstands. As we're getting ready to move across country I asked my husband if we should consider selling this furniture rather than paying to move it, if we're ready for a change.

He pointed out that we won't get much for it on CL and we couldn't afford to buy such quality furniture again once we move, since we'll have many other expenses in remodeling and furnishing the farmhouse. It's true, so we really should keep it.

I'm wondering though if perhaps just a new bed might be the change I'm looking for. I actually love the clean lines of the dressers, with their inset drawers, black hardware, and beautiful quartersawn oak wood, but I've never really cared for the spindle bed. It's just so masculine and a bit too much of the Mission style for me (I love antique pine and oak, mixed in with lots of painted wood). It's also difficult to clean the dust that gets trapped between the spindles and make up the bed because of the tall, heavy footboard.

Now I'm thinking about taking the dressers with us but switching out the bed for something else. I'd love a pretty country bed with graceful lines for our new master bedroom in Tennessee. I'm just not sure what might work with the Mission style dressers we already have. This is the bed we have with the dressers below:

I Googled Mission poster bed and these popped up. Would this work with these nightstands and dressers? Any other ideas? Maybe a painted poster bed?

Comments (25)