SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

DH is now ok with an iron bed! Will it go?

User
14 years ago

*Longer version*

Originally DH has stated he wanted wood. When I said iron he cringed. I 'showed' a few photos today, he liked them and said he didn't care what bed we ended up with as long as he could sleep on it at night. :)

I still love these two beds best. #1 is huge. I was going to use with half posts at the bottom but it's still huge.

{{!gwi}}

#2 not quite as big but I'll have to order it unseen. I have seen other beds from the same collection.

{{!gwi}}

So it boils down to I really like wood but I only like substantial wood beds and they're usually posters. My room has 8' ceilings and isn't huge. I'm really scared to order one of these and feel it was literally a big mistake.

*Cut to the chase*

I really love this iron bed and it seems pretty substantial to me. Will one of these iron beds work in the room with my furniture. They have lots of finishes to pick from. Walls will be painted gold, EVERYTHING else will change.

Basically the headboard would go half way up my wall so I think it would make a statement in the room.

Headboard 60" H, footboard 39" H.

They have a ton of finishes but I actually like this one or maybe a black.

#1.

{{!gwi}}

#2 but I don't like it quite as much.

Welsey Allen Revere

Headboard height 60", footboard 38 1/2" H

{{!gwi}}

#3 Wesley Allen Quati

headboard 60" H, footboard 36"

{{!gwi}}

I have the bed pulled out from the wall here to mock up a queen #1 wood bed above.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (40)

• natal
    14 years ago

The beauty of iron is it works with anything and it isn't as likely to overpower a small room the way some wood beds can.

Oh ... and I know you're decades away from caring, but they're a quick source of cooling relief when those hot flashes hit in the middle of the night. ;)

• work_in_progress_08
    14 years ago

Oooh, of the three pics, I like #1 the best. I really like the look of mixed furniture. Something about it just looks "right" to me. However, when I was newly married, I had no real decorating sense.

For our wedding gift, my parents gave us $$ to pick out a bedroom "suite". We chose a Lexington set which is victorian in style, dark/old antiquey (if that's a word) looking oak. Back in the day, that was what most folks did - buy bedroom "suites". That combined with far too little decorating knowledge, we chose a nice old fashioned victorian Lexington suite. Ordered the queen headboard, marble topped nightstands, bureau w/ attached mirror & tall chest of drawers. Pretty, but way too much matching wood. We have cherry throughout our home and wanted something a bit different for our MBR, thus the oak.

Ten years ago when we replaced our queen mattress with a king, I found an metal headboard for our bed with a pewter finish. Managed to talk DH into that rather than ordering the matching oak headboard. Unbelievably, that Lexington line is still available. When the bed frame arrived, I was so happy with the choice. My oak pieces are the better for it as well.

I think your room will look spectacular with an iron bed. If only I had your decorating sense when I was your age. From the pics you have posted, I think you have chosen really nice things for your home. Well thought out, a skill I lacked when I was first married.

Our MBR is painted gold, so I'm sold on your wall color as well.

• Related Discussions

ok...now im going to try this too!

Q

Comments (4)
    Wonderful, UK! My DH's mother would go with her dad to collect seaweed on the coast of Ireland, and he used it on his crops in the fields. That was over 100 years ago now. As an island country, seaweed should be readily and fairly cheaply available to you in the UK, right? Love natural products. Please follow up with a post on how it works for you.
    ...See More

Should I push DH into the excavation pit now?

Q

Comments (31)
    To tell the truth, I have shown him my choices, so he has a chance to veto...But for our bedroom carpet in particular, he's never home by the time there's enough daylight to really look at the samples in the room, so forget it...I showed the kids my 2 top choices instead, and they weighed in for me. I really want this to be a team project and have him care about the choices, but I have the better eye and will care more about some of the details in the end anyway. What mine is headed for the trench for these days is thinking, even though he isn't here to help with certain things, that they should be done exactly how he would do them. Phoohey on that. The latest: he wants us to stop and test every outlet we've wired before putting on the little face plate, to avoid having to take it off later if one has a problem. We are taking bulk boxes of these things and putting them on, one after another, as far as they'll go. We're not stopping to plug a radio into each one when we're 'on a roll.' It'll take 5 seconds if we ever have to take a face plate back off, and we'll do it if/when we need to. His way is not wrong, but neither is ours. It was his great idea to save the ceiling painting for last, over my opposite thought, and now it's me having to mask off the already painted walls, so we can do the HUGE job of painting the ceilings. That's all I'll say on that one, since I'm finding no humor in it at this point...It's the big load on my shoulders right now. Keeping him alive is the fact that he started cutting the material for my kitchen cabinets yesterday. :-D
    ...See More

DH got paid and said - go buy yourself something dear

Q

Comments (17)
    I hate to say this, but I went out to get some dish organizers from a local home store - been waiting for cutlery to go on sale so we can replace our set that you can bend with your fingers....... Normally $99 - this weekend $49. 18/10 gauge stainless steel 8 x 5 piece sets plus the hostess set. They were waaaaayyyyy up top but the red sticker caught my eye and the overall pattern is a classic so I know both hubby and I can live with it. I'm done now until we go furniture shopping in the spring to replace our Sanford and Son couch and chairs... I can't believe the sales this week. I'm shaking my head in disbelief. It's really been worth waiting for these items. Wow. Happy b'day to me, happy b'day to me!!!!!
    ...See More

Ok, well now I am obsessed w/ hanging swing beds...

Q

Comments (10)
    This is alluring.... I love sleeping outdoors. But it's been two summers since I actually did it, and it wasn't on a swing. Just in the middle of the side yard, nothing but sky overhead. A porch bed would be awesome. But practical matters have always scared me away from actually having one, amongst them: - How do you keep bugs away? - How do you keep it dry in a windy rainstorm? Do you have to cover it up when not in use? - Can you use regular indoor sheets and pillows? Won't they become mildewy unless you only bring them out when you use them? - How do you keep it clean? All my outdoor furniture seems to collect dirt and sand within days of being cleaned - And finally, where do you all live that you'd even consider sleeping on the *front* porch? I'm in a quadplex and my neighbors and flatmates would undoubtedly wake me up whenever they enter or leave their home (it's a shared patio). Not to mention the cars driving by, people walking by, etc. I can see this working in a rural setting. Maybe in the 'burbs. Definitely not in urban areas like mine. I'm in the minority around here even being comfortable sleeping outside in the back yard. Or do you just want it for looks and for daytime use as a hammock/swing?
    ...See More
  • susanilz5
    14 years ago

I like the 3rd one. and I agree with the other poster an iron bed will go with just about anything. Have you checked out the Claudio Rayes iron beds? They are beautiful and well made. I'm considering another one for my guest room. www.claudiorayes.com

• aunt_mimi
    14 years ago

Hi Sheesharee,

I have to say I own a Wesley Allen bed and LOVE it! I have the Sheffield in a copper finish and it mixes well with wood. Honestly, most of their finishes would look great with wood. They have such a nice variety. I don't think you would be disappointed in the quality. I can dig out a picture of my bed if you like.

My advice is to try and find a store that carries them, so that you can check out the finishes beforehand - unless you're set on black, of course. :)

Good luck with whatever you decide!

PS. I also like your #1 wood choice, but understand not wanting to over-power the room.

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks guys. Feedback from here always helps.

I actually feel very at ease with the iron bed decision. On and off since October I've been thinking and searching, debating, making crazy tape mock ups on the walls. Wish DH and I would've had the conversation sooner.

Another good thing with the iron is I think it will make it easier for me to pick out night stand for DH. If everything were cherry I'd have to try and find a night stand to match and one painted black I think might be odd to be the ONLY piece of furniture different. It will be tricky anyhow because there's not a bunch of room on his side between the bed and long dresser.

Natal - It's always good to plan ahead!

Work - Thank you. This place has helped me figure myself out more with decorating.
    Oh I'm sooo glad we weren't able to buy a bed a few years back. I would've picked something over the top ornate, all matching, and I would really dislike it now.

Susan - I think doing searching I saw some of those beds before but wasn't really sure of the name. Thanks for the link!

Aunt Mimi - Ah the Sheffield was my 4th fav! That would be great if you wouldn't mind posting a photo. What finish did you go with?
    There is a store near me that has WA. I'll be sure to check out finishes first. I'm really liking the color of #1 iron bed. At least on my monitor.

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

I like the third iron bed the best- although they are all pretty.
    I think an iron bed will look great with your furniture. As long as it isnt shiny brass or painted white, that is.

• alex9179
    14 years ago

Of all your choices, I'd be looking at 1 and 3. You've already decided that 2 isn't as alluring so knock that one out! :) Very pretty but 1 is my favorite...just more classic, I guess.

• jjam
    14 years ago

I like the first and the third iron bed. Either one would be beautiful in your room. So glad you waited....I think you'll be much happier with your choice now.

• alex9179
    14 years ago

did you see my addition to your previous thread? I linked to a blog you might like. You'd also enjoy her stores if you ever visited the Kansas City area. Just TOO DIE FOR!!! I got some very reasonable decor items in Atchison (the original location) and I just loved going through to see the displays, as does half my family (the ladies like!)

• aunt_mimi
    14 years ago

Shee,

Here are a couple of pictures of my Sheffield bed in the "Old Copper" finish (it has just a hint of green, which I wanted since I wanted to paint my bedroom green). IRL, I think the overall finish is darker than the photo shows online (I bought from FineIronBeds.com) My runner up choice was the same style bed in the "Aged Bronze" finish.

I like all of your choices, but I would vote for choice #1 or choice #3 style-wise. I also like the color shown on the first choice. Again, good luck and let us know which one you choose! :)

PS. These pictures were taken before we bought "real" nightstands. What you see in the edge of the picture was a temporary stand-in (a snack table in the wrong color).

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cooper - I agree those two finishes for sure will be out.

I'm actually a little bit confused. I found a company in CA called American Iron Beds that photo #1 came from. It looks like a Wesley Allen bed and they have the same beds and finishes. I finally managed to find that same bed on Wesley Allen's site (in the brochure). These close up photos are from WA site.
    So anyhow.. This color is aged bronze but the photo of bed #1 above (from the other website) is called bronze bisque. I think I like the dark brown one above better. Now that I confused everyone. . .
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

Jjam - Yeah, I'm glad things worked out how they did and we had to wait. I still need to wait a little but that will give me time to pick out which bed and finish. :)

Alex - I actually just saw that!! Thanks for posting the link. Didn't realize they had a blog. I have two of her books and love them. If I ever get to that area I'll be making a point to stop in.

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Aunt Mimi - We posted at the same time.
    That looks so nice!!! I really like your finish.

Out of curiosity, do you happen to have a pillow top mattress? I'm trying to picture how high this is going to be by the time we get a normal sized box spring and pillow top mattress. I like the headboard to show a good bit. Makes me wonder if their stock photo (for bed 1) matress and boxspring are lower for the sake of the photo? You can use a regular bed frame right? I read on one of the sites about a special frame.
    Thanks so much for posting those!

• susie100
    14 years ago

I have an iron bed with a pewter finish (from JCPenneys, $137.00 delivered); granted not as well-made or heavy as some of those mentioned, but it fit my budget and looks great with the cherry Kincaid chest of drawers. My bedroom is rather small, so I'm glad that not everything in it is wood. All your choices are beautiful.

• aunt_mimi
    14 years ago

Shee,

Just saw your question...I have a pillow top memory foam mattress (temper-pedic), which is kind of high. But the way the pillows are arranged on the bed, also hides the headboard a bit more than usual.

I purchased the bed and frame online - actually got a better price from a website than a brick & mortar store that carried WA. I'm pretty sure it's just a standard frame.

As far as the finishes go, I would check the samples in person to see if you have a preference. Like I said, I was expecting my finish to have more of a penny-colored look, with hints of green, but IRL it happens to look darker - more like an oil-rubbed bronze color - IYKWIM? At first I was disappointed in the color, but in the long run, I do think the color I got is more versatile.

• tomorrowisanotherday
    14 years ago

I'm so excited for you!

We've had our iron/brass bed for about 12 years now and I just LOVE it still!!!!! It's been one of those purchases that I am completely satisfied with. It will go with almost any furniture and always gets compliments. I can tell you that the thing you want to look out for is the way the side rails are attached. For very long-term durability, look for the cast iron "slip in" type connections. Our bed is verra verra SOLID. It does NOT move around, squeak, or sag. It's model #152 at the 8"-off-the-ground height. We had it in an 8' room at the old house and it was just fine, even with a thick mattress. We could not be happier :)

My mother also has one of these (style #148) in her guest room (at my urging!) and it even compliments her mid-70's pecan/carved furniture. You pay for the quality up front, that's for sure--but it is soooooo worth it, IMO.

Here is a shot of our MBR showing the bed and a glimpse of the cherry chest across from it. I like it :)

Here's my link to my RMS page at HGTV if you'd like to see more views:
    http://www.roomzaar.com/rate-my-space/Bedrooms/Undecided-in-the-Master-Bedroom/detail.esi?oid=470340

Here is a link that might be useful: Best beds evah!

• loribee
    14 years ago

I love the iron bed idea...esp #1.

• CaroleOH
    14 years ago

I love the way #1 curves slightly on the footboard. Just a little different, but classy. I also like the two toned brass effect of tommorrowisanotherday's bed.

• summiebee
    14 years ago

I like the idea of an iron bed because as a previous poster said above you can swap out other furniture with it. I'm not sure how much your choices are but my friend just ordered one from LLbean and likes it. It was under 500$ he said?
    I am having a slight love affair with the following bed...

Here is a link that might be useful: Saint Lucia Bed

• busybee3
    14 years ago

i love the #1 iron bed too! (i also like the darker finish better...)

• tomorrowisanotherday
    14 years ago

I was thinking about this after I made my post. I could not remember what kind of connections the Wesley Allen company used, but I thought I remembered that it was not the same as the ones on the beds from BBofVa. I searched their site and could not find my answer. Hmmmmm.... why not?? Well, after some googling, I found this set of photos that shows assembly and the rails. You do have to connect the rails with screws---arrrrrgh! I'm thinking that all of the beds are made similarly, but don't know that for a fact.

Now, they seem to have a very good warranty, and the actual parts that show (foot/head boards) seem to be finished in a very similar way as those from BBofVa, but I wonder why they don't do their rail connections like the old-fashioned beds? I also wonder if it matters all that much--I do tend to be a detail-obsesser.

Dang, I sound like some sales rep! I'm not affiliated with BBofVa in any way--I just love what I got from them and am happy to share what I've learned. It took us forever to settle on that purchase. I know I'd have been sick if I had not investigated fully. Those WA beds are not cheap, either.

The place where I ordered my bed has a sale going on. I seem to recall that they do that once or twice a year and that it's worth the wait :)
    Check out their prices:
    http://www.heirloomironbed.com/heirloom/dept.asp?s_id=0amp;dept_name=Iron+Beds&dept_id=520&WT.svl=deptnav1

They also show more photos and more of the options. For example, If you like that arched-front, you can order that feature on some of the models (like mine, for example). Also, there are open-foot models which might appeal if you are concerned with overpowering the space, or someone is quite tall and does not want the full footboard.

My advice? Find a dealer and check out All of the options (and obsess about the details :P) Even if you do prefer the WA beds (which do look very nice, btw), at least you'll know what you are paying for.

Here is a link that might be useful: wesley allen instructions--shows rail connections

• susanilz5
    14 years ago

I have a king size Claudio Rayes iron bed, it's so heavy and solid my husband and I joke that we can hide under it during tornado season. My box spring and mattress are very thick, when I ordered the bed I explained it to the sales person and they suggested buying headboard extenders, which raised the headboard so it was more visible. Also this bed frame has 13 feet that meet the floor, very, very solid.

• amykath
    14 years ago

LOVE the iron beds! I am now really wanting one. If only I had some extra money.

• juddgirl2
    14 years ago

Lucky you - I love iron beds! I like your first choice best. Iron beds work with a variet of furniture. We have wood in my master (DH's choice) but I have iron beds in all the other bedrooms in my house.

My son's Wesley Allen iron bed came from American Iron Bed Co. It's finished in antique iron and shown in the first picture. It's a nice bed (not as heavy as my daughter's antique bed but very good quality) and they have excellent customer service. He has distressed black wood furniture w/pewter hardware and it works well with the cooler black iron finish.

My daughter's antique iron bed (second shown) was refinished in a flaky, antique white paint with brown glazing. It came from Loading Dock Antiques. It's great quality, heavy and solid as a rock, and the company also had excellent customer service. Her room has primitive painted furniture.

The iron and brass daybed in my office came from Charles P. Rogers. Love their beds because you get the benefits of a new bed but they're made with handcast moldings and handforged iron. They have the great distressed finish options and the brass is dull, not shiny. Ours is in antique iron, which is a chippy tan paint over brown finish. We have quartersawn oak office furniture in this room and it works.

I can't wait to see pics of your bed!

Wesley Allen
    {{!gwi}}

Loading Dock Antiques
    {{!gwi}}

Charles P Rogers (website pic)

• summiebee
    14 years ago

*sigh* I love all of Judd girls iron beds. Did you refinish your DD's yourself?

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

I vote for #3 and wish this was the Iron Bed I bought instead of the Maywood headboard I bought that is a bit too fancy with my new furniture. By the way, I love that antique white bed posted and the color is perfect for the cottage look. I love Iron beds that lighten up the rooms and look beautiful with almost any wood color.

• juddgirl2
    14 years ago

summiebee - I wish I could take the credit but Loading Dock Antiques refinished the bed and I ordered a custom handpainted finish. It's a Mom and Pop shop and they did a great job - even sent me pictures during the process so I could decide if I wanted the glazing.

Those BB of Va beds are very pretty - I love the delicate lines. My Charles P. Rogers daybed has bolts and it's just as sturdy as my daughter's antique bed with the interlocking rails (at least for now). It's much heavier and substantial than the Wesley Allen bed, but I'm happy with all 3 beds. The newer beds allow for a trundle.

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry I'm a little late getting back to this.

Summiebee - That is a pretty bed! Thanks for posting the link.

Aunt Mimi - Thanks for the info on the mattress. I'm sure I can get the bed cheaper online than from our local store also. Did you have any trouble putting yours together?

Tomorrowisanotherday - I really like your bed! Thanks for posting a photo. I'm not really sure what you mean by slip in type connection so I'll have to check that out more. Are they welded together or something? You made me think of a very good point.......putting the bed together - Ugh. :( We'll have to check the prices from the local store if I go with a WA bed. I'm a detail obsessed too so although I didn't think of these things yet, they were on the way. lol Thank you for all the info!

Juddgirl2 - Thank you for posting those photos. I really like all three of those beds!! Do you happen to remember which bed your son has? I didn't see it on their site. Does this mean that American Iron Bed Co sells Wesley Allen beds? I was confused about this when I stumbled on their site before.

Thank you everyone for the thoughts, links, and photos. I'll do some more digging around and question asking at the store. We can't order the bed yet because of other stuff going on but I'll be sure to post what I end up with. Heck, I'll probably be back here asking "which finish!". :)

• juddgirl2
    14 years ago

My receipt says its the Sullivan bed in Aged Iron finish. It's definitely a Wesley Iron bed (had the tag on it) and I purchased it from the American Iron Bed Co.

I think Wesley Allen is just one of the brands they sell. From what I remember, they also sell antiques (but high $$) and other lines.

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Aunt Mimi, Juddgirl, and anyone else with a WA bed -
    Mimi - You said you bought your frame online, is it the "Patented Millennium Frame" WA sells?

Is it best to use their frame? (I'm guessing probably) I know this is a question I can and will ask them but I'm curious.

• aunt_mimi
    14 years ago

Hi Shee,

To answer your questions, my hubby put together the bed, but I was there when it did it - it wasn't too bad. The hardest part, I think, was moving the heavy iron pieces from our garage up a flight and a half of stairs and getting them into the bedroom. The "free" delivery was curbside delivery, but they actually brought it into the garage for us.

I can't remember what the (brick & mortar) store wanted for delivery, I think it was at least a couple of hundred dollars, but it included the set-up of the bed...so we decided to save the money and put it together ourselves.

Yes, it was the millenium frame that is shown on the website.

When I was researching beds, I didn't come across any other manufacturers like the ones Juddgirl and others posted. They look really nice too, but I can't speak to the quality, or say which is better.

I've had my bed for 2 1/2 years and it is very strong - no squeaking. I'm very happy with my purchase. Good luck again, with whatever you choose!

• tomorrowisanotherday
    14 years ago

Shee--
    Here is a shot of the how the rails slip connect with the foot/head board of our bed:

The box springs sit on top and are prevented from sliding on by several raised pieces that are also welded into place. Trust me, nothing moves AT ALL. Look closely and you can see them in this shot:

I also took a photo of my daughter's bed, which is an actual antique. Since it's white, I think it's easier to actually see it. It's welded also:

I'll tell you that set up is a simple affair that one person could do w/o too much trouble. There are no tools required either, except maybe a hammer or rubber mallet.

On their website, BBofVa has a video that actually does show a guy setting up a bed by himself, then jumping on it. The bed fails to budge an inch. (video is a bit goofy, but great at showing the easy setup and sturdiness)

I never hesitate to put in a good word for them--I love my bed that much :)

Here is a link that might be useful: 2nd video, then skip to 1:20 to see assembly

• skeet
    14 years ago

I'm also looking to purchase and new WA. I love your #3 and here's a pic in the Aged Iron (black) Also is a pic of my 25 year old Big Brass WA. Its a king and I want to go queen in my old age.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Skeet, I am in love with the Wesley Allen Quati in aged black! I think that is the Iron bed I should have bought and I should have bought the foot board also despite it being a tight fit. I loved it but there was not a lot of room for the footboard and I was not sure how it would look in the rustic ivory color which is what I thought at the time would look good with my Stanley bedroom set that I ended up returning. I liked the cottage white finish but the salesman talked me out of it. I like my WA Maywood Iron headboard but with the poor lighting in my bedroom, the rustic ivory color always looks dirty unless I have all the blinds open and it is sunny outside which is usually not the case since I like privacy and my Master bedroom faces the street. It also is too fancy for my Royal Cottage bedroom set I have now but looked nice with the Stanley Bedroom set that came so damaged with finished not matching in the set.

The loading dock antique iron bed in that cottage white color in the picture above would look perfect in my room in a Queen size frame. I really like it also.

I wish Wesley Allen would have a mat antique white or mat ivory finish which is what I really wanted and not a shiny antique white finish or a Mat white finish if I wanted to stay with the cottage look but not go with the Rustic Ivory or the cottage white (that had that chippy look with black on it rather than iron showing through).

I always had a golden oak bedroom so I wanted a change when my platform bed fell apart. I really wanted Cherry wood but it was too costly so I went with Durham Royal Cottage in the White Sand finish over solid maple wood. I really needed more time to pick out a headboard but I was rushed by my friend who wanted me to make a decision and by a client that said they would pay the restocking fee if I did not like the headboard when it arrived so I would get back to their work. But he defaulted on his promise.

But one thing I can say about my headboard is that it gives the bed a finished look, is very well made, gives an airy feeling to the bedroom so it is not all wood around the room since I have a lot of furniture in my bedroom. My 6" headboard (others styles that I liked better had a lower headboard and I wanted mine to be close to 6" tall) also looks like a grown-up headboard which is what I wanted and that is why I stayed away from shiny antique white. I only like shiny in the brass but that would not go in my bedroom.

I know a lot of people with iron headboards and they all look classy to me.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Aunti_Mimi, I love your iron bed and the choice of finish also. I actually considered the iron bed style you have but it would take up too much room in my narrow bedroom so I looked for styles that could go as close to the wall as possible.

• aunt_mimi
    14 years ago

Thanks Lynn for the compliment!

I chose that style (WA Sheffield) because it most closely mimicked the look of a sleigh bed...which was my first love when it came to choices of beds. A real sleigh was going to eat up too much room, as my bedroom really isn't that large. I also like the airiness of the iron rails, as opposed to the look of a solid piece of wood when you are dealing with a smaller bedroom.

• Oakley
    14 years ago

A bit off topic. Tomorrowisanotherday, I have the same Jelly Cat in my sitting room! lol. I got one for my grandson and I liked it so much I bought myself one. Aren't they the softest things ever?

Shee, you can't go wrong with an iron bed. I love them!

• tomorrowisanotherday
    14 years ago

Oak--hahaha--that silly jelly cat was a total impulse purchase over at Coldwater Creek one day. I have to fight the kids to keep it in my room. He is super cuddly and "likes" to snuggle in with me and the kids when we read books together in my bed :)

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tomorrow - Thanks for posting those close ups!

Skeet - Thanks for posting a photos of that bed in black. Beautiful brass. I really love the pillows on there. I actually just saw a brass bed very similar to that on CL today.

I made some phone calls and two of the places that WA site says have the beds..don't. I emailed WA so hopefully they'll correct the site at some point. So no luck in seeing any finishes yet. There's a few other places I can check. I wonder if anyone really has samples though. The places I talked to used to sell them but only had the book.

I'll let you guys know what we end up going with!

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

sheesharee, I understand your frustration since I had to drive up to 1.5 hours to see beds in various finishes. No one had the bed I bought in the finish I wanted but it was stunning in the gold color and black. But in the rustic ivory the ropes are a bit busy to me but tonight I looked at it and at least it goes well the coloring in my room, it looks grown up, it is airy feeling and does not take up a lot of room since I can see, my room could not fit a footboard since across from the bed is my double dresser and I need room to walk.

Aunt_Mimi, Yes, my first love also was the sleigh bed at Ethan Allen but the bed would be too big for my room and make the room look too crowded so I decided on an Iron bed. I wish I had a wider room since I love the sleigh bed style with the low foot board. I also like the old copper finish you have and I see it looks nice with the bedding that you have that is similar to mine.

My prior bed for over 14 years was an oak platform bed with a very masculine bookshelf headboard that was low. I wanted anything that did not look like that bed. So I am happy with my headboard despite not loving the rustic ivory color due to the low lighting in my bedroom with no overhead lighting.