SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girl_wonder

What would you do: budget kitchen remodel w/ golden oak cabinets?

girl_wonder
5 years ago

I’m back to considering a budget make-over for my kitchen (vs. the $$$ half-house remodel.) What would you do? (Pics below). I own a 1940 bungalow. The front of the house is super cute and original. The kitchen is a 1980s remuddle.

Is it a bad idea to first try to save the golden oak cabinets and only paint them later, if needed? (my house painter bid $3300).

Here’s my latest thought: what if I start with the stuff I can do myself. A) deep cleaning/de-cluttering inside cabinets. B) cleanup and touch up cabinets w/ Olde English; C) throw down some better rugs as a stop-gap measure to cover the yellowing, busy floor (On order). D) new window covering and better decorating. E) buy new stainless steel appliances. (Black Friday sales)? Including fan. F) possibly add hardware to make cabinets look more like shaker and less like 80s. (I’d hire a handyman for that). G) possibly try to stain the cabinets a slightly darker color to match the quarter-sawn oak chairs in the nook (and dining room table in other room).

Then later in the spring, with permits (when my GC is remodeling the master bath): new counters (quartz, off white), new sink, new faucet, new lighting; backsplash; new flooring (flooring material TBD. I have doug fir in the adjoining room) new paint etc

I guess my reasoning is to start with low-cost stuff I can do myself to gauge whether I’ll be happy with a refresh vs. the big remodel and...whether I could live with the oak vs. having them painted. (I don’t want to wait until the counters are in to decide I need to paint them).

Thoughts? Comments? Does this sound reasonable or am I just a commitment phobe or ??

Comments (63)