SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bunnyemerald

Wet cat food triggering stomach upsets

Bunny
8 years ago

Apologies in advance for tales of cats vomiting.

This is another chapter on wet cat food started on another recent thread.

I decided to try converting my two cats to wet food, based on the generally held opinion that it's better for a cat's health. I understand that cats can be fussy creatures of habit and also that abruptly changing their diet can lead to digestive upsets. I purchased a variety of premium canned food (small cans), plus Fancy Feast which is a tried and true favorite. My two cats are brother and sister, fraternal twins. While they have distinct personalities and quirks, they are soooo similar in many respects.

I've been keeping a log of what food I give them and how much. I'm only doing this at dinnertime for now. I start them off with 1/8 can each of the little 3-oz. cans. It's not much more than a teaspoon.

Some food is eaten with gusto, some met with disdain (lick, lick, walk away). I give each food a rating.

A couple of weeks ago Zephyr threw up his FF chicken/beef. I chalked it up to hairball involvement. Didn't think anything of it. The next day, Z threw up within minutes of eating it. And then Bessie got into the act and threw hers up too. Noted in my log and vowed never to let that variety into my house again. They are fine with all chicken varieties that don't contain beef.

I have tried some Nature's Variety Instinct with them. It got a ho-hum from them. But they kept it down. Last night they got the Duck variety. About an hour after eating, Zephyr threw it up. He specializes in projectile vomiting so there was that. A minute or so later Bessie threw up too. WTF?!!!

So, that's another food I will not try again. I'm puzzled. Is it too rich? Is there an ingredient common to Instinct duck and FF chicken with beef? So weird.

Is it because my cats have such similar DNA and they might both be allergic or reactive to the same thing found in each?

Is it possible that Bessie was fine until Zephyr threw up and the power of suggestion triggered her episode?

I'm ruling out both cats being sick. They are fine otherwise and eating their usual dry food, no diarrhea, etc. Active and happy.

This is not a fun project.

Comments (78)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio