SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
llingard910

cat will not eat any food

llingard910
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I have a 6 year old tabby cat, took him to the vet for a dental cleaning a few weeks ago because he had gingivitis and I was trying to avoid any future tooth extractions. Came home from the operation and seemed fine, was sneezing quite a bit though. On the Thursday night about a week after the cleaning he vomited a couple times. I thought it was just normal, eating too fast or a hairball. I left Friday morning for the weekend so I did not realize he was actually ill until a few day's after he initially started vomiting. He had thrown up several times over the weekend and had not ate anything. His vomit was green at one point I guess, but mostly looked like he was throwing up stomach bile. I took him to the vet on the Tuesday morning where they put him on an iv for a couple day's and ran a bunch of tests. They diagnosed it as either aspiration pneumonia or a congestive heart failure triggered by the anesthetic. They were thinking it was more likely the pneumonia, his breathing was heavy and he had aspiration in his lungs. Prior to the dental cleaning I hadn't taken him to the vet in several years, he was healthy and is an indoor cat so he has limited out door exposure. I've had him home for almost a week now, he seems to be improving, drinking lots of water and has not thrown up. He still will not eat though and I am having to force feed him liquid foods with a syringe several times daily. He's on antibiotics too. Is that normal for him to still have a lack of appetite? It's starting to really concern me. I gave him an appetite stimulant yesterday and he actually ate a couple treats on his own. I've literally seen him eat maybe 5 little treats on his own in the past couple weeks, I've continued force feeding him. The vet claims he needs at least a full can of food per day but that would take a ridiculous amount of force feeding. Any idea how long it typically takes to recover from pneumonia for a cat? Obviously it's different for each animal and each situation but I would like to know if this seems normal. The vet is suggesting putting a feeding tube into his throat in a few day's if he still refuses to eat, however I really do not want to put my cat through that. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks, L

Comments (4)