SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wisconsitom

Iochroma, anyone?

wisconsitom
8 years ago

Sorry for always barging into your tight-knit Florida community here, but it is exactly you folks who might be able to help me with this one:

So, my precious popcorn cassias-intended to be the stars of the show for this year's ornamental plantings, have been cut from my order. The grower had everything lined up with Malmborg's, a large Minnesota grower of this plant, who had in fact ramped up production. Now I don't know the particulars, but they cancelled out the whole order.

So in a bit of a hurry here, I have to now re-plan a lot of my large planter schemes. And it's not a matter of 'hey, I like this plant on this web page. Maybe I'll get those instead' kind of thing. No, I have to pretty much go with items this particular grower already has started under glass. So I was there yesterday to receive the bad news and as we discussed possible alternatives, one item they have in good supply is Iochroma 'Royal Queen'. This tubular-flowered Brugsmannia relative has purple-not yellow blooms. So that's on me to decide if this color change will fit with other intended components of those planters. And while it's not what I was hoping for obviously, it will do.

So my question for ya'll is, have you grown this plant...what did you think of it...do you think it would make a good "thriller" (I really hate these terms but everybody is using them) for large planters, given the color is OK?

Thanks for any commentary you may provide.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!