SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jbsiemens

Replacing undermount sink that was installed with silicone/plywood

Jason Siemens
8 years ago

Looking for _any_ advice on this :) The house has a Blanco Silgranite sink undermounted in a Silestone countertop. I managed to put a sizeable crack in one of the bowls by dropping a cast-iron pot in it. So it needs to be replaced...

I think it was installed when the house was built (circa 1999) and it doesn't resemble any current installation methods. It looks like the sink is held in place by pieces of 3/4" plywood (one on each side, two in back) that are siliconed (loads of it) to the bottom of the Silestone.

Here's a picture to illustrate:

I figured I might be able to slowly cut it out from the top by using a blade between the lip and the countertop. Tried this and I can get a blade in between the sink lip and the countertop where there is no support (on the front and where the faucet is) but in edges where the wood is present, even a razor blade won't fit.

To make matters worse, there is only 2" of clearance between the cabinet wall and the sink so tools are limited (on one side is dishwasher and the other side has drawers)

Any ideas or similar situations?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (5)