SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donna_loomis

Speaking of Shampoo (or not)

donna_loomis
8 years ago

I have long been concerned about what all the chemicals we put into and onto our bodies are doing to us. We try to eat fresh, meaning little or no canned or boxed goods, but even fresh has often been treated despite the tossing about of the word "organic". But, we do what we can, right?

There was a post some time ago about "no poo" and after a few responses, it was quiet and then later revived and that is when I came upon it. I remember Mom using a vinegar hair rinse on me when I was a child, so this brought back memories. I've zig zagged back and forth between 99 cent Suave shampoo and several of the high end shampoos at $6+ per bottle. I can't say that I realized any significant difference in how my hair felt or looked. I decided to give "no poo" a try.

I began my experiment on March 1st, 2016. While I gathered the ingredients over the span of a couple of weeks, I used baking soda to wash and apple cider vinegar to rinse. I had read that some people felt that over time, baking soda alone made their hair dry and brittle, so I used it one day and the next day or two, I only used the vinegar rinse. I normally shampooed at least five times a week. I have short hair, so tangling is not an issue for me.

On March 19th, I concocted my shampoo. Ingredients: soap nuts, water, marshmallow root, apple cider vinegar, alo vera gel, guar gum, citric acid, and some fresh mint from my garden. I doubled the recipe and ended up with about 30 oz. of shampoo. The cost was more than the low end shampoo, but much less than the high end shampoo. It does take some getting used to, not getting a head full of lather as with regular shampoo, but I had already become accustomed to this from the more than two weeks of baking soda alone. And, by the way, my hair felt and looked really clean using only baking soda. My homemade shampoo left my hair feeling as if it had a bit of gel in it (I think this might be from the marshmallow root). I may leave that ingredient out next time. It is supposed to add "slip", another thing we've come to expect from conditioners. And I'm still shampooing one day and just doing the vinegar rinse the following day.

The homemade shampoo is perishable (online sources state that it will last approximately two weeks), but I bottled and froze what I couldn't use in two weeks. We'll see if the shampoo is stable once thawed.

All in all, I think I am pleased with my new poo. It has now been more than a month since I have used commercial shampoo. However, I am still using hairspray on workdays, but doing the research on an acceptable substitute. We do what we can, right?

Comments (12)