SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cassie_blue

Containers and fertilizer- help??

Cassie Blue
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi! This is the first year I've ever tried to grow anything. I planted seedlings in the little jiffy pods and plan on moving them into pots with drain holes down the road. Herbs, spinach, broccoli, and carrots.

Here's the problem. I did some basic reading/YouTube surfing and initially learned that growing veggies in 5 gallon buckets just required potting mix. Maybe some soil mixed with compost.

WRONG? Well, I've been reading some more tonight and let me tell you, my head is spinning! There are SO MANY suggestions/opinions/methods out there that I'm completely lost. Everything from adding fungus and worm castings to seaweed and various teas and "Al's mix" and I am completely lost. People keep saying you can't use organic fertilizers in pots unless you infuse microbes and then others say you can.

I had no idea it was so complicated. After much reading I now understand why plants need certain nutrients and why they can't digest certain things without microbes but still, everyone uses different things and I'm an overthinking/never-doer so the simpler, the better.

Please- someone tell me exactly what I need to put in my buckets and pots to see my plants bear fruit. If it comes in a pre-packaged mix, that helps a lot. Just give me a nice little list- 1)... 2)... 3)...

Comments (21)