SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sashephe

Fertilizer + ideal shape and colour for peppers in containers

9 years ago

Hello Gardenweb,

First, I'd like to thanks everyone here for providing a large percentage of the information I've used to embark on the journey of gardening. This is my first time ever trying to grow anything, so I'm sure there is a ton yet to be learned, but I'm definitely more educated than I was 3 months ago. All of that said, I do have a couple of questions regarding my pepper plants that are currenty containerized. It's likely many of them will remain in containers, as I am interested in trying to overwinter them, although some will be planted in the ground here in a few weeks.

Either way, my questions specifically address fertilizer requirements. I'll give some specifics about the situation first.

- The peppers retain their nursery soil, which appear to be peat based, but also shows perlite and some type of bark (looks like pine, but I can't be sure). They have all been potted up since their purchase, and when I potted them up I used a 40/30/30 mix of peat, sifted pine bark, and perlite.

- They are under an 8 bulb, 4 foot t5ho fixture, on for 16 hours each day, with a south facing window, and fan on one side, and something called Pandafilm on the other 3 sides (it's reflective film I grabbed from the local hydro shop to keep the light from leaking out.

- The two dark green bell pepper plants have been fertilized with primarily 3-2-2 fish emulsion. All of the other pepper plants have not received any fertilizer (other than compost tea, made in an aerated 5 gallon bucket with compost from a pile the previous home owner had created) since they were purchased from the nursery. I'll explain why here in a second.

Since I mentioned the fish emulsion in the last bit, I'll start there. I had 6 bell pepper plants, 6 Serrano and 6 jalapeno that I started from seed a while ago. They were all doing good and received highly diluted fish emulsion every third wattering once they had 3 sets of true leaves. Then I ran out of fish emulsion, and went to pick up more, but the hyrdo shop was out of stock, and the local nursery didn't carry it. Instead, it was suggested that I use something called "Age Old Grow," an organic fetilizer which had the ratios 6-1-1. I figured the higher nitrogen number may help with the vegetative growth the plants were experiencing, but in fact, when used at the same dilution as the fish emulsion, it nearly killed them all, and set them back far enough that I made more sense to buy nursery plants than to try and restore their health.

Well, now I have those replacement plants, and I am pretty paranoid about using any fertilizer at all on them. It looks like they may need it, but I don't think I know enough about reading the plants that I want to make that call alone. Instead, I'll post up these pictues, and hope some of you all could confirm or deny the need for fertilizer. A buddy who does hydroponics gave me an organic bottle of nutrients called "earth juice grow" with the suggestion that it would not only be easier to avoid burning the plants, but also help them along quite well. The specifics are 2-1-1, and it is composed of Oat bran, sea kelp, bat guano, steamed bone meal, natural potash, blood meal and feather meal. If I use this fertilizer as directed on the bottle, without knowledge of what fertilizer is in the growing medium from the nursery, should I be in good shape, or should I consider something else? Is now an appropriate time to use the fertilizer.

One final question is shown in the pictures. On picture portrays the, older, dark green bell pepper plants that I have raised from seed, and the other shows the lighter green, newer, nursery plants. Which picture is closes to a peppers ideal colour and shape? I ask since I'd like to know what to strive for regarding visible indications of health on my pepper plants.

If you've read this far, thank you! I know I wrote a bit of a novel, but I figured I should give all of the pertinent information, so that if anyone stops by to help, they can make an informed answer.

Comments (7)