SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

help with fertilizers for container gardening

I made a post in the soils subsection forum about a soil test. People have told me continously to get a soil test before I add nutrients to my soil mixture so that I know what's in it. I told them I do know what's in it because I make my own soil mixture for container gardening. They said since container gardening soil is soilless, that a soil test is unneccessary.

I then told them I was looking for a high potassium and high phosporus fertilizer because this is what fruiting plants (plants that are harvested for their fruit.....any type of squash, any type of melon, any kind of bean, peas,

bell peppers, eggplants, tomatoes, etc.) as well as

veggies grown for the root portion (beets, carrots, turnips, kohlrabi, etc.) require this type of fertilizer.

They suggested that I post my inquiries about looking for a high potassium and high phosporus fertilizer that is suitable for container gardening here on this forum, since

it's the method I use for gardening.

Can anybody recommend any brand name fertilizers that would be available anywhere (such as local hardware stores, local garden supply shops, Walmart, etc.)

Also I normally just stir in a dry fertilizer into my soil recipe, as the recipe I use for container gardneing, that is what is specified to do with the instructions for making it. Would I be able to just stir in a liquid fertilizer when making my soil mixture, or would this create problems? I don't know, as I've never done this before.

Also if you add fertilizer when you make up your batch of soil for container gardening, will it be necessary to

apply fertlizer later when the plants start to bare fruit (this is specifically applied to squash, eggplants, tomatoes,melons, and bell peppers, as I realize they're heavier feeders than root vegetables)

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations