SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tamtrible

Can/should I fertilize my water garden w/ normal fertilizer?

tamtrible
10 years ago

I've got a wee little container water garden (basically a large ceramic pot full of water, plants, one goldfish, and a few snails). I only very rarely feed the fish (think a flake a week)

Currently, the plants include a Yerba mansa in a floating pot (it's sending off lots of babies, I need to find a home for those soon), a bit of watercress (thank you, nearby Asian market), some pennywort (I think), an unknown bulb that looks kind of like an iris or something (I'll be giving it a proper pot once it's a little taller), and some algae.

Since this is Arizona, the water is alkaline and kind of salty, and it will be getting warm soon. I do partial water changes every week or 3 (basically, when the water reaches ~3/4, I scoop out water 'til it's at ~1/2, then fill it to the brim).

Right now, the plants are all happy and green, and I'd like them to stay that way. But I probably can't afford a special fertilizer designed for aquatic plants. I have some liquid fertilizer intended for normal in-ground type plants (Schultz, 10-15-10 with micronutrients, recommended dosing is 7 drops per quart of water with every watering).

Do you think it would be a good and useful thing to put a few drops of that in the water, or at least put a drop or two in the Yerba mansa's pot (it's looking a little sad)? If not, is there anything else (cheap) that I can or should do to keep my plants happy?

This post was edited by TamTrible on Fri, Feb 21, 14 at 16:35

Comments (7)