SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bobstrauss

At what point are we overdoing it?

bobstrauss
8 years ago

We live in a neighborhood of builder-grade houses (built 1990-2005) that has grown in popularity over the years. Good school district, easy-ish access to major employment areas of a big city, and very family friendly - people and kids always out on the sidewalks or in the nearby park.

That said, it's still a lower cost of living area - houses ranging from $130k to perhaps $210k or so. But whenever homes go on the market, they're sold within a week or two - at or above list. Friend of mine put an offer on a non-updated 1400 sq ft house down the road for $160,500, just over list, and he lost out to another buyer.

My question is this: we purchased our 1250 sq ft home for $114k about five years ago, and our balance is down to $100k. Last year we spent close to $3k on new landscaping, sod, and redoing the back deck - which now looks fantastic. We've redone lighting throughout the house for probably $1200 - a night and day difference. We're in the middle of a small kitchen reno which will probably run us about $4500, but take us from a 20 year old beat up builder grade kitchen to quartz counters, painted cabinets, silgranite sink, subway tile backsplash, beadboard ceiling with recessed lighting, etc. It'll look great and be nice to enjoy over the next several years.

My question is - are we out of our minds doing this stuff if we plan to sell in 3-5 years? I enjoy the process, DIY nearly everything, and the kitchen and yards were in dire need of help before we started on them. The bathrooms look like hell too and could each use about a $3k reno next year. I was thinking of replacing the dated tile in the kitchen and dining room with laminate to match the rest of the house, but now I wonder if I shouldn't just float bamboo in all of it - which could be done for less than $2500.

So max cost I'm talking about is spending $17k or so for a beautiful landscape, new kitchen, new bathrooms, new lighting, and new bamboo flooring. Is that nuts given the neighborhood I'm in, or should I still see a respectable ROI?

Comments (7)