SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
guest016548

What fertilizer from non-nitrate sources for blueberry in 5-1-1 mix?

Larry (Los Angeles, 10a, Sunset Zone 19)
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I just made a 5-1-1 mix for my blueberry bush, and was about to fertilize with dynagro FP before I remembered that blueberries don't respond well to fertilizers that supply nitrogen in the form of nitrates such as DFP (as opposed to urea/ammoniacal forms of N). The only other ferts I have on hand right now is granular ammonia sulfate (21-0-0) with coated urea (specs on the second page of this pdf http://www.kellysolutions.com/erenewals/documentsubmit/KellyData/ND%5CFertilizer%5CProduct%20Label%5CHYPONEX_EXTENDED_FEED_ALL_PURPOSE_21_00AMMONIUM_SULFATE_WITH_COATED_UREA_4_25_2011_11_38_43_AM.pdf ), and a slow-release (4 months in regular garden soils) granular fertilizer for roses (12-6-10).

Am I able to use any of those? Am I completely off track thinking I can use ammonia sulfate in a 5-1-1 mix, in granular form, no less? I'm not able to find water soluble forms, except on Amazon. What are my options? It looks like a fert such as Miracle-Gro Water Soluble Azalea, Camellia, Rhododendron Plant Food is one of the few options I have, is that right? How often would I have to apply MG water soluble fert in a 5-1-1 mix and what strength, generally speaking?

Thanks in advance,

Comments (19)