SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_22188212

First clematis bloom 2016

User
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Omoshiro.. Hard to see since I have to protect my clematis from deer but I'm enjoying it. I planted this in the Fall of 2013. It had one weak bloom last year. There are also several buds... Not very tall climber tho... There is another bud that managed to work it's way through the net but not open yet. I'll try to get a pic of that one when it opens before the deer get it, they always do...

Comments (26)

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here is a better photo

• mnwsgal
    8 years ago

Lovely bloom. I am looking forward to seeing how many blooms my three year old Omoshiro has this year. Both rabbits and deer eat my clematis.

User thanked mnwsgal
  • Related Discussions

First clematis blooms for this year

Q

Comments (4)
    Thanks for your comments. I did as recommended on this forum...the first couple of years prune them to get more vines. I fertilize the clematis (along with all my flowers/bushes) in February with 10-10-10 or 8-8-8. Then I try to get them fertilized again after they bloom. Sometimes I am a little late on this on!!! But I can say that following the recommendations that I learned on this forum has helped! Watering is also important. I do add pinestraw around mine to help conserve moisture.
    ...See More

First Daylily Bloom; First Clematis Bloom

Q

Comments (12)
    Judy, you know full well that you are among fellow addicts when it comes to buying plants. And I so love the English roses...just be sure to give them plenty of room. They will need it. Vel, it is a record for me, that is for sure. It was one I got in the fall from Bill Maryott, but no way was able to resist taking pictures of those three together. Thanks Cindy, all of my early clematis are covered in buds. They are hapopy with the strange weather. Rebecca is a true red in my garden...same color as my monitor, and the blooms are large. It is close to my favorite...then I see another one and oh I love that one. You know how it is. Thany you Linda. As I've already said, I love Rebecca! kay
    ...See More

A Scape, First Clematis and Iris Bloom & Some Lupines

Q

Comments (14)
    maryl- I wonder if the texas bluebonnets would grow here. They sure are pretty. Kay- My TB iris season has begon. Its great to go out and look for new blooms each day. I have seen the pictures at Schreiners with the Iris and Lupines also and I don't know how they manage. My iris would rot if I tried that! Cundy, I am sure you could squeeze in another Lupine or two. If space is an issue, I have noticed from looking at potted plants side by side the the Russel Lupine plants are generally larger than the Gallery Lupines that I have. nat- I had only mixed sucess with my lupines from last year. So of course I tried again. I think its worth it because they are so pretty. Nancy and Jay, thank you for your kind comments. You all know I love to show pictures of my garden.
    ...See More

My first 2016 bloom!

Q

Comments (4)
    Congratulations! They just get bigger and better every year, prepare to get obsessed with peonies!
    ...See More
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here is another bloom, fully open. Glad I got this clematis...

• User
    8 years ago

That is such a lovely unusual clematis. I didn't know it would take a couple of years to bloom. Looks like it's worth the wait.

User thanked User
  • mnwsgal
    8 years ago

You are building my anticipation!

User thanked mnwsgal
  • Debra Vessels
    8 years ago

How exciting! I planted two in 2014, I have lots of buds on one, the other gets less sun so no buds yet. Yes, they are a smaller plant, but the blooms are wonderful. Since this is the third year for mine I have high expectations for that third year! It is such a beautiful, different clematis.

User thanked Debra Vessels
  • Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    8 years ago

Love it. Looks beautiful!!

User thanked Prettypetals_GA_7-8
  • jessjennings0 zone 10b
    8 years ago

STUNNING! I adore Clematis, however, mine is not happy at all, have no idea what I could do to change that. Any advice Rhoder?

User thanked jessjennings0 zone 10b
  • NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    8 years ago

jessjennings0, try starting a new thread, and you may get more response, plus you can be notified by having replies sent to your inbox. Include where you are (zone and general location) a photo and/or description of the plant's issues, when you planted it, what type it is, and what the growing conditions are like. Without that we can't really tell what the problem might be.

User thanked NHBabs z4b-5a NH
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

JessjenningsO, seems to me they need a shaded cool moist soil but sun everywhere else. Mine grows in mostly shade with sun in the late afternoon for 2 hours or so. They grow alright but not the best situation. Also, in pots they need to be watered frequently, moist but not wet soil. A mulch of compost in the spring seems to be the thing, better then fertilizer. I'm not at all an expert but maybe someone more experienced will chime in....

• jessjennings0 zone 10b
    8 years ago

Thanks NHBabs, the problem is I don't know what my zone is, I can't find that info anywhere...also, I have a thread in Organic Roses, where I focus mainly on my roses, - I only have one Clematis and I don't think it justifies a new thread... :-)

Thanks Rhoder, that info already helps a lot. I think mine started drying out in the severe drought we had...

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    8 years ago

jessjennings0, For your clematis, they don't need shaded feet per se, but they do need even moisture, not too dry and not soggy - moist, well-drained. Mulch will help this, and keeping a close eye on the moisture level and giving them long slow water (like a barely trickling hose) when needed.

Here's an interactive hardiness map currently set up for my general area. Just type your zip code in at the top and hit the zoom button will go to your area to help you out. Also, you can add the zone and general location to your name, so that it will automatically add it when you post in the gardening forums (though not in the houzz forums). Here's how to do that:

Go to Your Houzz in the upper right of every page, click Edit Profile, and on the left side click advanced settings. Well down the advanced settings page is a blank labeled Climate Zone for Garden Forums along with a link to find your zone.

If you add info on your state or the nearest large city you will get even better information since zone only relates to average coldest winter temperatures.

Then return to the top of the page and click Done Editing.

• jessjennings0 zone 10b
    8 years ago

Rhoder that is a real beauty...

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Nice photo of your pretty clematis, jessjennings0.

• jessjennings0 zone 10b
    8 years ago

thank you but - nothing like yours Rhoder! do you grow different Clematis in your garden?

• jessjennings0 zone 10b
    8 years ago

now to try and figure out why the (11) appears twice...sigh... :-)

• Debra Vessels
    8 years ago

jessjennings0 , In my opinion, in the heat of the summer here, it is not unusual for my clematis to stop growing, get a little crispy on the leaves, even keeping them watered. But in early fall, when things cool down a bit, in September, they rebound with a beautiful flourish of growth and blooms. Of course it depends on the variety. I haven't killed one yet, they are pretty hardy. Lovely clematis you have!

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

jessjennings0 In addition to the Omoshiro, I have Henryi, Roguchi and a maybe Jackmanii, unsure since I purchase it from a grocery store about 8 years ago.Here is a great website. I spend HOURS...http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemalphalist.cfm?alpha=H

Yeah, what davessels said... I live in a probably chillier climate but still in the hottest part of summer my clematis start looking a little stress but recover eventually.

• jessjennings0 zone 10b
    8 years ago

Thank you so much Dave, Rhoder, maybe there is hope for mine then, and thanks for liking my Clematis :-)

oooooohhh....Rhoder...may I say I'm jealous of your magnificent Clematis plants... I never knew there were so many I could only find this one little plant...and she was scraggly...at a very high price...but I'm glad to have her...

thanks for the link :-)

will definitely give more water..maybe now that it is Fall here she will bloom once more before winter....

Which Clematis do you grow in your garden Dave?

• Debra Vessels
    8 years ago

jessjennings, My name is Debra, and I just had to laugh, but I never realized my initials for Debra Ann and my last name would look like Dave! My old user name was DebraV and when Garden Web changed I guess it changed to my Houzz user name.

I have Jackmani, Elsa Spath, Nellie Moser, 2 Omoshiro, 2 Little Mermaid, Earnest Markham, Henri, General Sikorski, The President, Romana, Dutches of Albany, Venosa Violacea, Florida Sieboldiana, 2 Sweet Summer Love, 2 Guernsey Cream, Rebecca, Niobe, Huldine, Ville de Lyon, Piilu. I have just order 3 more. Warsaw Nike, Etoile Violet and Avant Garde. I bought my first four in 2011 and then I was addicted.

Good luck, Debra :-)

• jessjennings0 zone 10b
    8 years ago

oh my goodness I'm sorry about this mishap (blush) :-)

Please post photo's of all those unreal Clematis you have? wow.....(!!!!)

• Debra Vessels
    8 years ago

I have a great since of humor, and after looking at my username, I would of made the same assumption. Someone else called me the same thing so I kept wondering who Dave was! laughing.... I will post pictures soon, for some reason the pictures I have are first blooms and then I get busy and don't get good pictures when they are loaded with blooms. With Clematis, you never know from year to years how they will look. I would love to see a whole view of NHBabs garden, and a list of clematis he/she might have. That would be amazing!

Debra

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    8 years ago

I'm a she (Babs is short for Barbara). I live on a farm, so I don't have photos of the whole garden, since it's spread out over various areas around the house and out buildings with at least a few clematis in most of the beds. Most of my beds are large, with mixed shrubs and perennials since almost half our year is winter, so I like having something that looks nice year round. I've been smitten with clematis, and grow them both into shrubs and onto various trellises. I'll pop up a few photos, including some of the less commonly seen ones that do really well for me. I'm partial to the summer bloomers (type 3, hard prune) since there's less going on in the garden then and they are really easy to grow. I also have several early spring bloomers (type 1, no pruning needed) and only a few type 2. Neither the type 1 or type 3 are likely to get clematis wilt and are prolific growers and bloomers for me.

Seedheads of 'Stolwijk Gold' (prune 1) which blooms in May for me with steely blue flowers. On the right are a few vines of an unnamed pink bell that blooms midsummer.

Here's the pink bell in bloom with just a few fading flowers of Avant Garde near the bottom. Both are relatively small but lovely, and the bumblebees love the bells. (prune 3)

Mikelite (prune 3) blooms for a really long time for me, and is faster to start blooming. I love the flower color with the paler petal center and the big boss of stamens.

HF Young is one of my few type 2's, and is relatively common. It is a really full bloomer, and the color varies some with the light it's seen in, looking more lavender in brighter light.

My favorite dark purple, Viola, shares a large shrub with Betty Corning, both type 3. When I combine 2 or more clematis, I match pruning types to make it easy. The spicebush (Lindera benzoin) that they grow on isn't a good choice since the branches are too flexible. I've done best using plants with stiff branches like lilacs and hydrangeas.

My only problem growing clematis has been that the voles really like eating them, both summer and winter. After trying a lot of repellants, I've ended up planting them in circles of hardware cloth, wire mesh with 1/4" openings, and that seems to help. My Little Bas got eaten, so I've just replaced it (in a circle of wire mesh) with another. I like the way they look on the lacier types of H. paniculata. Here's the old one with Hydrangea paniculata Quickfire just starting to open buds.

Finally, two of my earliest purchases that are still favorites, Ville de Lyon and Venosa Violacea.

The left side of this bed is only a year or so old, and the clematis are still on temporary bamboo trellises. It runs parallel to our rural road, and so it's at least partly for the pleasure of those driving by.

This is my largest bed and the clematis show up best if you get close to it; several of the photos above came from this bed. I don't have any whole bed photos when the clematis are in bloom, at least partly since they are planted on all sides, and so I couldn't take photos where many showed at once.

• Debra Vessels
    8 years ago

Thank you NHBabs for posting pictures! I have been curious about your garden for several years. It is just absolutely amazing. I always respect your advice you give others, and your garden definitely backs that up.

I have a large corner lot in town so all of my gardens are along the fence and only about 4' deep, so I do not have many large shrubs for them to grow on. My clematis are all on metal trellis and Oblisks. I planted Venosa Violacea 3 years ago I believe, and it is one of my favorites. It never slows down. I have ordered two more Viticella to replace the two sweet autumn clematis that had just outgrown their space, and my neighbors. And a warsaw nike to replace my Dutchess of Edinburg that I have babied to 5 years, she now has to go! A few blooms a year is wasted space for me. My other favorite would be Dutchess of Albany. I love the leathery feel of the blooms and she blooms for months all summer and then again in the fall for me. This is the first year my Noibe has not froze to the ground, so I just trimmed her up a bit and I am anxious to see how well she blooms. I planted 2 sweet summer love in 2014 and they still have not bloomed, I hope this will be the year for them. I have never waited this long for a clematis to bloom. I can't wait to get Avant Garde and see how it does. Yours is beautiful! Thanks again, Debra

• jessjennings0 zone 10b
    8 years ago

I am blown away by your beautiful garden NHbabs

Thanks so much for sharing these amazing photo's... the colors are from another world. All your Clematis are new to me and extremely lovely....

I wish we had more available here, maybe it just gets too dry & hot here, too often? Same with peonies... never seen one in real life....

I won't be able to connect as often as I would like to due to back pain, I will be looking forward to catching up hopefully soon! enjoy your beautiful spring time everyone :-)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH