SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

cute video

rob333 (zone 7b)
8 years ago

I know I've already posted today but I just love this video. What a great reaction!

magic trick for a baboon

Comments (8)

• plllog
    8 years ago

Love that! Especially the anime style face!

• plllog
    8 years ago

I know a young zookeeper who spends a large portion of her job is finding ways to entertain and intellectually stimulate the animals. I'm ambivalent about confined animals (I feel particularly sorry for large fish in small tanks), but took this as amusement.

• Suzieque
    8 years ago

Did you mean "ambivalent", pillog? Just curious.

• plllog
    8 years ago

Suzique, I'm not sure what your question is based on. I did mean ambivalent.

This definition was at the top of Google results and is from Wikipedia:

Ambivalence is a state of having simultaneous conflicting reactions, beliefs, or feelings towards some object. Stated another way, ambivalence
    is the experience of having an attitude towards someone or something
    that contains both positively and negatively valenced components.

This describes what I meant.

Details: I always feel sorry for the fish. I believe in habitat preservation and that wild animals belong in their natural homes. That's harder than ever to achieve without some manmade engineering (even if it's just culverts so they can cross roads). Zoos do educate people, help children learn to care whether there are elephants (thence other species) in the wild, do worthwhile research, help preserve threatened and endangered species, etc., hence the conflicting feelings. I get that zoos do good work but I feel for the animals, especially in old fashioned zoos, where the exhibit spaces are little more than fancy cages.

• whistle_gw
    8 years ago

I also wondered about Suzieque's question and why ambivalent was put in quotation marks.

Plllog, I too have ambivalent feelings about the video.

• socks
    8 years ago

It's wonderful that animal parks and zoos are making an effort to stimulate the animals through play, puzzles, physical challenges, etc. It seemed to me that the baboon was just mad, not entertained.

Yes, these places play a role in education and encouraging protection of animals and their habitats. For example, Sea World has taken a good deal of criticism lately. But the CEO made a good point recently: when they introduced the orcas years ago, they were viewed with hate and fear. After all, we called them "killer whales." Since that time, the public has grown to view them as vital creatures in our marine world, no worse predators than a lions. That's a positive for Sea World's program, but it's good they are suspending the breeding program.

• plllog
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I agree that teasing animals is cruel. When I was a little kid, that kind of magic trick really got to me (as in intellectual stimulation) because I was pretty well aware of the physics of reality (can't hide a bigger thing in a smaller thing, can't squish something solid and rigid, can't move something without touching it, etc.), and I think I was putting myself in the baboon's place and being delightedly irritated by seeing things that shouldn't be happening. Whatever the ape felt, I hope they were at least trying to entertain rather than annoy. Sigh.