SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jfeathersmith

I guess I needed a 2nd dracaena . . .

J Feathersmith
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I went to the nursery for a presentation about soil contaminants, so of course I looked at plants, too. I went there with the intention of looking at the dahlia tubers in stock, so I got one of those . . . and one calla (help I've never grown these!!! (I'll check the aroid forum)), and then I went to BROWSE the house plants. Just look, because I like looking at plants, but I bought like 15 new plants in January so I'm kind of full up right now. (And then I started a cutting from someone else's coleus, so I'm kind of full up right now.) Then I saw this lone small dracaena, and I swear it happened like this:

Me: Gosh, you're a cute little thing!
Plant: Yay!! :D I like you too!
Me: Well, I hope someone nice buys you 'cause I am not buying house plants today. Bye!
Plant: You like me!! I'm cute!!!!
Me: Yes, you are, but I'm not . . . AUGH . . . resistance . . . fading . . . wait, did you say $1.99?!? Why didn't you say that sooner?! *grabs plant* You're small I'm sure there's space for you somewhere. You're totally going to need a bigger pot soon, aren't you baby?

Its roots are almost totally filling the little pot (2.5"? 3"?) so I'll have a nice short project in the nearish future. In the meantime, New Dracaena is tucked next to Older Dracaena (also a surprise impulse purchase; I had no plans to buy a dracaena but they kept catching my eye that day).

Maybe it wasn't me who needed a second dracaena in the house, LOL.

Dracaenas next to one of the marantas and one of the calatheas (had to move another maranta out of the way for the picture).

Dracaenas are slow growers, right?? Reassure me, because this one's leaves have a pretty good horizontal spread, and I really don't have room for more large plants, unless/until I get some better shelving going.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert