SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mike_foster95

24' Round IG DIY Install - Am I Crazy?

Mike Foster
8 years ago

My wife and I have been discussing installing a pool for years now. I have been going back and forth on whether I should do it myself or hire it done. I am pretty handy with basic construction, plumbing, and electrical. The one thing I'm a little worried about is the excavation. We are planning to install Radiant Metric 24' round pool with concrete deck, so the the hole should be pretty straight forward (28ft diameter, 4ft deep, flat bottom). After install, I will have someone come in and poor the concrete deck. A local PB quoted me at $6400 for just the pool kit (not sure if that includes pump, filter, etc.). Am I crazy for wanting to attempt this myself? By the way, I'm a teacher, so I'm off for 2 months in the summer.

Experience

Construction: 2 wood privacy fences, 2 - 10 x 10 wood storage sheds (from kits), 2 decks, 1 wood playset (from kit)

Plumbing: Multiple bathroom and kitchen remodels, plumbing repair/replacement 400GL Hot tub

Electrical: wired new lighting fixtures/switches, installed/wired 220V Hot tub, replaced computer control box in hot tub.

Excavation: I ran a SEE (Small Emplacement Excavator) Truck in the Army a few times many years back, but I was digging trash pits that didn't have to be very accurate.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville