SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bzoff

Am I crazy to put dining room table against one side of the room?

bzoff
3 years ago

TL;DR - I'm thinking about putting our "formal" dining room table against a bay window with an upholstered bench on that side (photos at bottom of post). Is this a crazy idea?

We are changing our formal living room into a dining room to have more space when we have extra people over for a meal (not so much these days but hopefully someday soon!). The old, smaller dining room space will eventually become an office/reading area and we will get rid of the Queen Anne dining set that was a hand-me-down and is way too formal for us. We recently were given an Ethan Allen Cameron trestle table from family friends who are downsizing to a smaller home. Other than that, the room is basically a blank slate with a bay window on one side and a fireplace on the other (pics below). There is no overhead lighting so I can do nearly anything (limited by one A/C vent). We don't plan to reface the fireplace or anything right now - even though I would like to eventually, the hearth in particular is terrible - but might add a mantle.

As I was looking for x-back chairs to pair with the table, I came across a photo of a room that had a table with an upholstered bench up against a set of windows and thought that it might be good for my room too. I thought that it would help preserve a comfortable walkway in front of the fireplace and prevent the room from feeling too much like a bowling alley. I found a bench at Ethan Allen and some x-back chairs from Canadel (also shown below) that I liked but haven't ordered anything yet.

I went to tackle the rug next and I realized it is going to be virtually impossible to find a stock rug that can both fit all of the chairs when they are pulled out and also be centered under the table without running past the bay window wall. I think I need something along the lines of 7'6" x 12" and a custom sized rug or FLOR tiles (who knew those were so pricey?) is going to be a huge chunk of my modest budget. I had been planning to get an indoor/outdoor polypropylene rug in the $300 range that would be easy to clean and wouldn't be devastating if it did get stained, since we have 3 young kids. This isn't the time to "invest" in a really nice rug. We won't eat meals in this room daily (we have an eat in kitchen) but it will get regular use for board games and puzzles and distance learning.

So now I'm second guessing the whole table against the wall thing even though I think I might really like it if I can pull it off well enough. If I center the table, I don't think I would do the bench and would likely just get 8 of the Canadel chairs. Normally, I would get the furniture and try it both ways but I need to figure our for sure if I am going to do all chairs or chairs/bench before I order.

I also have no idea what to do for other furniture especially since one side of the fireplace is larger than the other. Ideally, it would be built in cabinetry but that's definitely not in the budget now! I think I am going for a transitional look that is simple yet slightly more elegant/elevated than eating in the kitchen.

Inspiration pic:

Canadel chair:

Bench:

Floor plan:

Photos:

Comments (12)