SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmoneill31

Conflicted by abusive step sons

mmoneill31
8 years ago

About 3 yrs ago I left my ex husband because he was abusing me and our 3 DDs (12y/o, 9y/o, & 3y/o). Then a year ago I remarried to an amazing, loving and kind DH. He has 3 Sons (9y/o, 7y/o, & 4y/o) and I welcomed them into our families with emense love.

My husband divorced because his ex wife was having an affair while he was deployed. She later married that man and they have created their own family unit. My husband has standard custody visitation with his DSs, and I have primary full custody of my DDs. We both work very hard at being interactive parents and I make a point to respect the relationship that my SSs have with their mother. We both studied and sought premarital & blended family counseling prior to to getting married and we communicate at an exceptional level.

I would anticipate that our lifestyle would be as calm as a "blended" family's would be, but that's not the case. I'm starting to become more and more uncertian if it would be safe (mentally, physically, and emotionally) for myself and my DDs to stay in this family. My DH is still just as amazing, but my SSs are similar to what can only be described as the mentality of Pitbull dogs. (*mind that I do love ALL dogs I just use pitbulls for the "stereotype" to try to explain this situation*) They generally appear to be average rough and tumble, kind and jovial boys, but we then have had moments of pure shock and dumb foundness.

Example #1: the 7 y/o SS verbal forced my 9 y/o DD to show him her privates. Mind you, she is petit and has a very timid character and he is approximately the the same height and weight as she is even though he is 2years younger.

Example #2: the 4 y/o SS has been coached by his mother to literally hate me, and has been given permission by his mother to tell me openly that he hates me.

Example #3: the 9 y/o & 7 y/o SSs WITHOUT prompting or playing in a "wrestling" manner, tackled my 12 y/o DD on our trampoline forcing her onto her back and together held her down and forceable shoved dirt into her mouth.

I am a realist and completely understand that my children are NOT perfect, but from the day that the boys came into our lives my DDs have been loving and kind towards them. My husband is just as shocked as we are and has never made an excuse for this behavior. He has even tried to reach out to his ex to, and she is absolutely indifferent to it. Her only response is that it doesn't happen in her house.

I am conflicted because we as a couple have tried to explain compassion, respect, and boundries. But it just seems to not change the reality of the impending moments the next big shock. The behaviorhad still continued. I feel after incident #3 that now I have to choose to leave my DH for the welfare of my DDs who dearly love my DH. Because its not fair for us to force him to choose us iver his own biological DSs.

Does anyone have a possible alternative that I'm just not seeing? I'm so desperate.

Comments (14)