SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_30958039

Tricky back yard, need to toughen and repair lawn

User
8 years ago

Hi Folks

My very first post here. I'm a total noob when it comes to gardening, working with plants and my lawn so go easy on me!

My back lawn doesn't get a lot of sun and what grass and ground cover that does grow back there ,tends to to easily get worn away by whatever activity is happening throughout spring and summer. Now to compound problems, my daughters 12 & 13 are using a lacrosse "bounceback" which if you aren't familiar with this thing, is sort of a vertical trampoline that you throw and catch balls off of. So, my kids stand, run around in one small section of the yard throwing the ball.

We get a fair amount of wet weather here in Philly and the back yard soil tends to be moist side. The back yard is about half shade and half sun, and sees direct sun for a few hours a day in the late spring and summer. Enough for grass to grow but it just hasn't been robust (for lack of a better term).

Already, the kids playing back there seem to be wearing the grass away so I need a plan. I have seen some sort of mats or mesh that can be thrown on top of the grass. I also was watching This Old House Hour and they dug up the lawn and put down some sort of a rubber mat mesh a few inches below the surface (so cars could park on the grass). I would even consider completely re-sodding the lawn if that's the way to go.

Anyway, I'm overwhelmed. I welcome any and all suggestions that might work but ideally, I'm hoping for some sort of natural, preferably green type of ground cover that might have a chance in the moist and sun and shady area. I'm willing to roto-till and start over if need be. What might be a good approach for my yard given what I have described? I haven't really followed any one plan like fertilize in the fall, re-seed, etc. Feel free to suggest step by step program like 1-"fertilize with (band-x), 2-seed with (brand-y), etc. Your suggestions please!

In advance, thanks so much!

Greg

Attached is a photo of my yard. That's the bounceback (foregound right) and my girls stand opposite the bounceback (on other side of path) and that's where the grass takes a beating.

Comments (9)