SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wklkjn

Lawn Repair - planting grass

Wayne
8 years ago

Hello. New to the forum, but looking forward to participating.

We bought our home last November - Northern Ohio area - so this is our first summer with our lawn maintenance. We are in a neighborhood where everyone's lots are 3 acre (including ours). All our neighbors take very good care of their lawns and the neighborhood looks great. Most all of the lots are full sun, with smaller trees. The development is 10 years old and many years ago was a corn field.

So, specific to our property. It's 3 acres, of full-sun grass with very little slope. The ground is very hard even after a rain - I suspect no topsoil or very little was originally used when building the neighborhood. The previous owner of our house left the lawn in complete disrepair. The satellite Google view of our property shows a lot of dirt-bare areas that I've attempted to fix this past spring with fairly good luck. I scrapped the ground with a dethatching attachment to bring up some soil, planted the grass with a broadcast spreader, and then sprayed the cut-up straw over it. I used 100 pounds of grass seed and 10 bales of straw. The area I seeded was over 10,000 sqft and I did not water it at all, but after 2 months, it is coming up fairly well. The seed I used was a mix of 40% Kentucky, 40% perennial rye, and 20% creeping red fescue.

For some reason, the previous owner has planted several sections of grass on our property with different types of grass. Thankfully, the front lawn is probably the best. It is fairly lush, very fine grass - not many weeds, and looks great when I mow it. I mow all 3 acres on a 4 1/2" setting on my new, zero turn 60" mower.

There is a section of grass in the back yard - probably at least 3/4 of an acre, that seems to be 'tall fescue'. It looks terrible. Very wide blades, although there is no dead spots of dirt, the grass itself is not thick. And it looks completely different than all the rest of the grass on the property.

Ok, here's my question. In the fall, I'd like to overseed the tall fescue area with the same mixture I used already on the bare area. I'm thinking that the new grass seed will grow and mix with the tall fescue and although I won't get rid of the fescue, it will look better with the other grass mixed in. Am I thinking the right way?

Also, do I need to rent the self-propelled 'overseeder' machine or can I just broadcast the grass seed with my spreader?

Thanks for reading, can't wait to get some advice.

Comments (2)