SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stelmoqn

Moving & Storage Advice...Kind of Lengthy

stelmoqn
8 years ago

We are at the beginning stages of building our country retirement home on acreage about 5 hours away from our current residence (they are pouring the foundation this week). The new property has a large barn and a home on it, and my husband wants to go ahead and get our Denver area home ready for sale and "temporarily" move into the old house on the property. The old house is actually a purged mobile home that has had wings added onto either side of it and has been remodeled with a newer kitchen. However, it doesn't have air conditioning, the dishwasher in it is broken, and there is no space to hook up my washer or dryer. This house will be torn down as soon as the new house is finished, but it is "liveable" according to him, since spend some weekends in it.

He would like to start packing up our city house, putting furniture and some things in climate controlled storage nearby, and taking things that don't need climate control to store in the barn or empty areas of the country house. He thinks that we can do this while we do the clean up and repairs to get our city house on the market. We are planning to do touch up painting, refinish the hardwood floors, and then replace the carpet in carpeted areas of the house. The housing market is hot in Denver right now - our neighbors across the street put their house on the market a week ago, and it sold the next day. We anticipate the same as our house is in good condition in a very desirable area.

I think it is foolish to piecemeal the move this way. The entire upstairs of the house is carpeted and is where all the bedrooms are located, which means moving everything multiple times when they come in to recarpet. Downstairs won't be much better with hardwood refinishing. Not to mention the basement...it is unfinished sans a really nice bathroom we put in a couple of years ago thinking we were going to finish it!

I admit to loving my city house and really not wanting to move, but it's a done deal. That being said, rather than prolonging my pain, I think the better way is to pack up everything, decide what we can't live without for the next 6-8 months and take the country, and put everything else into climate controlled storage. An empty house will be easier for us to do touchup painting, and certainly easier for the flooring guys to come in and do their thing. Another advantage will be no confusion trying to get out if we get a quick sale and closing. It also would make it easier to deliver the bulk of the move at one time when the new house is finished.

The bottom line is he wants us out of the city house (and its accompanying mortgage!) in at least another month or six weeks, but it just seems short-sighted to do it in bits and pieces rather than just packing up and going, especially since so much is going into storage anyway. It just seems more efficient, both in time, money, and wear and tear on our bodies to rent a smaller uhaul to take what we'll need for 6 months to the country, and let movers come in and take everything else to climate controlled storage. He thinks we can just make multple trips using my SUV, his truck and atv trailer, and I think not.

Anyone else been in this situation or have any thoughts on the matter?

Comments (11)