SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
primdawg

What exactly is a speed oven? Is it a good solution for me?

It has been years since I planned a full kitchen and some things have changed. My new project will mean a much smaller kitchen than what I have now. I'm good with downsizing but the one issue we have is that we have had a double oven for 20 years and actually use both on a regular basis. We are currently planning a 30 inch range. I can do one with 2 ovens, up and down like so-

In my current plan I have found a space that I can add a "speed oven". My minimal research makes me think it has microwave technology but I don't understand different options or descriptions. The one I like is by Smeg and the description says "true convection".

So can you bake a cake in an oven like this? Or is there always a microwave aspect to it's function? I plan to go out and do some looking but in my experience salespeople tend to tell you what they think you want to hear in order to get the sale! Also, will this negate the need for a standard microwave somewhere in the kitchen?

The reason I like the speed oven at this point is really the size. The space I found in the plan where I could add an extra oven will fit a 24" oven, but not anything bigger.

My dream was to add a french door wall oven over there but I just don't think it will fit.

Comments (13)