SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Madi "gives her hair away"

annie1992
8 years ago

Yes, she did. Remember my little wild haired child, with the long curls and hair so fine it was always around her head in a cloud? It was always a mess, always tangled and her Mom always put it in a pony tail or a braid, which Madi immediately removed because she liked her hair down.

Anyway, she said she wanted to cut her hair off and give it away. What? What are you talking about? Yes, people DO. A big girl cut her hair off and gave it to sick kids who don't have their own hair anymore.

Yes, indeed, she's right. So, off to the salon, where the ponytail came off. Her Mom cried. Madi got a sticker and did NOT cry.

Isn't she cute?

She and her sister and Bud and Makayla are all coming for a sleepover next Saturday night, we're having a pizza party. I think we're going to need some cupcakes or something too, to celebrate the new hairdo. That makes this food related, right? (grin)

Her Mom loves it, BTW, it's so much easier than fighting over the tangles.

Annie

Comments (59)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

Oh what a cutie, and for a good cause, too.

• PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    8 years ago

What a wonderful thing for her to do! When I read the title of the thread, I thought it was going to be about Angel-hair pasta, but this is even better.

• craftyrn
    8 years ago

That cut is perfect on her & blessings to her for her donation.

• sally2_gw
    8 years ago

She's adorable! And she's doing a great thing.

Sally

• Compumom
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Generous hearts definitely run in your family! She's the youngest donor that I've ever seen. What a little doll, I love her new "do"! Now spoil her rotten!

• cloudy_christine
    8 years ago

Callie just did that too! She donated her long dark curly hair to Locks of Love. She called to tell me about it, and explained to me that "locks" is another word for hair, and "love" is because you are helping someone.

Madi looks great with her new haircut. Shorter hair is better for little cooks, too!

• tami_ohio
    8 years ago

Good for Maddy! And the new do is cute!

• annie1992
    Original Author
    8 years ago

cc, good for Callie! I think it's important to teach children that there are others that have health issues, or that are different.

Thanks for the good remarks, everyone. I've always told my girls that tolerance for others was key in life. Now it seems that they are teaching their own kids. Madi knows that her Mom has been sick and that kids get sick too, and sometimes everyone needs some help, whether it's donating hair for kids or helping Mom by picking up your sister's toys when you pick up your own.

I think she's just cute as can be with that new hairdo, and yes, hair will grow, if she wants to have it long again. She might like the ease of this so much that she'll want to keep the cut, who knows?

Colleen, I could get the haircut, but I don't know about the blue hair, LOL. I'd have to think long and hard about that! As for being young and wild, well, my Mother used to tell me that we are only young once, but we can be immature forever, LOL.

Annie

• nancyofnc
    8 years ago

And Madi's haircut has what to do with Cooking?

• Sooz
    8 years ago

Sweet darling generous compassionate Madi! Thanks for sharing!!!!!

Smiles,

Sooz

• lindac92
    8 years ago

Madi's haircut is an excuse to make cupcakes....didn't you read Annie's post?

• Solsthumper
    8 years ago

I remember having my long hair cut off, back in the 80s. I was traumatized . . . for about a day. Very liberating.

In any case, cute little Madison, you look tres chic with your new bob.

Sol

• dedtired
    8 years ago

She is so darling! The new 'do looks great on her and I am sure her old 'do will look great on another child. I have had several friends who have grown their hair to be donated to Locks of Love.

Love the color of her hair. She is sort of strawberry blonde.

• arkansas girl
    8 years ago

That's the perfect hair-do for her...so adorable!

• donna_in_sask
    8 years ago

Bodes well for the next generation to be so thoughtful and compassionate...she's a cutie!

• doucanoe
    8 years ago

The new cut is adorable! In this "me oriented" society we live in these days, how wonderful for one as young as she is to learn the value of helping those less fortunate!

Linda

• lizbeth-gardener
    8 years ago

Annie, that cut is just precious on her and am so impressed with her compassion/empathy in thinking of other children who don't have hair. She sounds like a real sweetheart!

• bcskye
    8 years ago

She is so cute and that new hairstyle really suits her.

Madonna

• annie1992
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Nancy, we USED to have "conversations" for things like this, now we don't. So, when Madi comes to stay on Saturday, we'll bake cupcakes to celebrate, her choice of flavor. Lots of sprinkles. Maybe pizza too.

I'm sorry I upset you. Just one more reason for me to dislike Houzz....we are apparently not supposed to foster any friendships.

Annie

• User
    8 years ago

Oh Annie, I don't know what Nancy's problem is. Maybe she just got up on the wrong side of the bed today. But she can't spoil this thread. It makes everyone else happy. Thank you.

• User
    8 years ago

Happy kid, cute cut, great gift!

• nancyofnc
    8 years ago

Yes, there "USED" to be a Conversations forum but there ISN'T one now. I understand about the camaraderie of this forum, having been on it for 10 years, but it is not a private forum for just friends. Everyone in the world can access this forum looking for ideas or asking for help with Cooking. If they are new and not in the "in" crowd have no idea why getting a haircut has anything to do with Cooking, it would make them feel like an outsider, and they might not visit again, considering it a closed group.

Just the title of the post upset me as I don't like to think about hair when cooking my food or thinking about it getting into my food. At the least, putting OT in front of such posts would help, please.

Madi may be an up an coming chef but confining it to her attempts and/or successes cooking is more to what I think this forum should be about though I applaud her efforts and grandma's help guiding her in the previous posts, which I enjoyed, along with her cousins and siblings. Let her talk about FOOD in the Cooking forum, that we would all enjoy.

Nancy the previous nancedar

• User
    8 years ago

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Thankfully, most here seem to be okay with the occasional "non cooking" thread. Those that aren't can just scroll on by any topic that they are not interested in.

• party_music50
    8 years ago

ouch.

Annie, I think Madi's new haircut makes her look so grown up! And I love every pictorial/story you post!!!

Perhaps we can all (well, except Nancy, of course) request a 'conversations' forum?

• nancyofnc
    8 years ago

I'd like a Conversations forum too! Don't get me wrong, I am not against postings that aren't about food and I have read and participated in a great many of the old Conversations' postings, but they belong there, not in the Cooking forum --- so please, just mark them OT, OK?.

• User
    8 years ago

It's like deja vu. Remember how some people used to get so upset when we started posting photos? A couple even took it so far as to leave the cooking forum and take up residence on the recipe exchange. Bizarre times.

• lindac92
    8 years ago

And it's all Annie's Fault....if she had only titled the thread "A reason to make cupcakes"....Nancy never would have opened it....would she?...Ya think?

• nancyofnc
    8 years ago

I wouldn't have opened it if it said "OT - Madi gives her hair away". Then I'd know that Annie_1992 still doesn't have her own blog.

• User
    8 years ago

Nancy, you didn't seem to have any problem opening and posting on the seed starting thread or the what's the purpose of this drawer thread. I think thou dost protest too much.

• lindac92
    8 years ago

LOL! And I see that you are so so disinterested in anything on this site NOT involved with cooking, that you keep returning to this thread...that is NOT about cooking, you say...and posting!

• User
    8 years ago

Annie, speaking for myself. please ignore any of the unpleasantness here and continue to share pictures and posts about your family. Regardless of the topic be it hair cuts, health or cooking, I know that most of our members enjoy what you share.

Forums, not just this one, are more about who participates and not about "Everyone in the world " who might follow or just lurk. If they follow long enough they will get a feel for the type of forum this is. And what they will see is a very happy group of members. With the odd one or two not so happy. And they will either join or they won't.

~Ann

• mustangs81
    8 years ago

I do miss the CONVERSATIONS option that we had with the Cooking Forum before Houzz. I would not go to the general Conversations on Houzz because my friends (and I mean my close friends) are here so I will enjoy the off topic conversations when they popup here.

I will try to remember to use OT so those who want to by-pass the thread can.

• colleenoz
    8 years ago

I would have thought it was perfectly clear that a title like "Madi gives her hair away" was going to be OT without the need for the letters "OT". What about that title could make you think it was about cooking or food?

I have been on the internet since the early 1990s and have found that the most interesting and long running forums are the ones which tolerate a small proportion of off-topic posts. I have seen forums self destruct when some posters get all hard nosed about the "appropriateness" of posts, resulting in the bulk of posters who were happy with the way things were going deserting the forum for friendlier climes leaving two or three forum police to quickly run out of things to say.

Let's not let that happen here please.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    8 years ago

By law, it is not ok to have long hair hanging around in the kitchen preparing food.

There, cutting long hair is on topic in a cooking forum.

dcarch

• mustangs81
    8 years ago

Madi is just a little troublemaker!!

Of course I am kidding.

• partst
    8 years ago

I been following the cooking forum for probably 15 years I don’t
    post often but look in every day and have learned so much from all of you. I
    have watched as it’s slowly gone from dozens of regular poster to now down to a
    handful. What a shame simply because some people just can’t scroll by but have
    to appoint themselves the forum police and make a stink about something. So I guess
    no more Happy Birthday threads!

Annie I hope this doesn’t keep you from posting about your
    grandkids we all have watched them grow up and learn to cook with you. Let’s not
    let one person dictate what everyone else enjoys.

And why can’t the cooking forum have a conversation side the
    home decorating forum does?

Madi is adorable and with her new hair cut she looks just
    like a mommy

Claudia

• lindac92
    8 years ago

Soo...one person's a Debbie Downer...let's let it go at that and carry on.
    Or as the Dowager Countess might say "What's a cup cake?"

• annie1992
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Nancy, I do not have a blog, nor will I ever have a blog, I'm just not interested in it.

I keep trying to convince myself that this is still the old Cooking Forum, where friends talk and sometimes we have get togethers and we care about each other. It makes me sad that things which were shared before aren't welcome topics anymore. I always wanted to know when someone had a birthday or lost a pet, when Sharon's niece had a stroke and how her recovery was, when Cathy's sweet HouseGuest was in the hospital and how he's recovering, when people are divorced, have children or grandchildren. I considered nearly everyone my friend and I wanted to know about them and their families. (sigh)

Of course, it's not. It's cold and impersonal and open to anyone who participates in social media, and it's not just a group of friends who became friends because they had something in common. So, I'm going to figure out how to just delete this entire thread, if I can, and not post unless I'm cooking, and I'll try to remember that it's Houzz and I'll continue to hate it.

Annie

• lindac92
    8 years ago

Annie, Annie, Annie....stop that!!...There was ONE person posted a negative....one person...
    I for one want to see how Maddie's hair grows and want to know how the HG is recovering....and I am SURE I am not alone.
    Now go have a pizza and a glass of wine (wink) and think it over!

• User
    8 years ago

It does feel cold and impersonal compared to the old days. More often than not threads seem to focus on the science/chemistry of food & eating. Interesting for some I suppose, but a bit boring on a regular basis.

In the old days people engaged with each other on another level, but with the exodus of so many that changed. It's the nature of forums. You can't go back.

• User
    8 years ago

Annie don't you dare!!!!

One negative post by one negative person and you are going to remove the thread?

What about the rest of us? All your friends here that enjoyed this thread? We care. About you and about your family. Don't we count?

I'm going to be really pi$$ed and disappointed if you delete this thread because of one person's negativity.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    8 years ago

I had to scroll up and find the heartless offense. I don't blame Annie one bit even if it was just one comment...my shoulders curled. Gotta shake it off but it leaves a bad sour taste.

It is obvious that forum relationships go back years. I'm an old timer on a design forum that has gone through changes. Fortunately most of us are held together by personal e-mail. Recently one of us started an 'old timer' post that is hilarious and a bit ridiculous to any new members. Just nice that we are connecting again on the old forum...

It seems to have happened everywhere over time and how forums have evolved to avoid pop-ups and greedy advertising....or timed sell-outs. Some cave predictably, some hang on.

nancyofnc had a twist-out bark, lol. Rude, crude, and socially unacceptable and then barks again, then runs away.

It is human and makes me feel somewhat sane, haha. And Annie should take it the same way. Be offended as you should. But know that it is only one.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, of course you are all right. But I get reminded that things are not the same, and that makes me sad and disappointed. I try to follow the "rules", except that I don't even know that there IS a rule against off-topic posts. (sigh) The forum has always been where I come to cry or celebrate, escape from life when it's lousy and get recipes when I'm celebrating.

I do keep in touch with some others by email, others that have left the forum for whatever reason. That's why I got a summer visit from San, who isn't here any more, but we still talk. However, I met her here, on the forum, so without it I'd never have known her at all.

So I'll try harder to be good, but Colleen, if you ever get that grandbaby you'd BETTER tell me!

Annie

• partst
    8 years ago

How does one get a message to Tamera about having a
    conversation side here? I know the home decorating forum got to keep there’s
    when houzz took over.

Claudia

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    8 years ago

Claudia, there was a big uproar on the Houzz side with a significant number of people complaining to get the conversations forum for the Home Decor board. That board sees a lot more traffic so it was probably worth it to them to set up. That conversation board sees more posts than this topic related board which makes it easier to remember to check it.

Annie, I think the main rules with posting are in how people are treated and beyond that, I see no problem with a board speaking in favor of how they prefer things to go. It is obvious that the majority of this board has no problem with some OT posts and it seems that the "culture" of this board welcomes them so keep on posting! Have you decided on cupcake flavors yet?

• User
    8 years ago

I've emailed Tamara to ask about a Conversation side.

• colleenoz
    8 years ago

Annie, if and when I ever get a grandbaby I'll be telling the whole freaking world!!! :-)

• Rusty
    8 years ago

Annie, please don't try to delete this thread! It is pretty obvious there is only one nay-sayer, why let her ruin things for everyone else? I've been reading this forum for several years. Though I rarely contribute, I still feel like I "know" most of y'all. You have every right to be proud of Maddie! Donating hair is a wonderful and generous thing for anyone to do, and even more admirable from one so young!

Personally, I fail to understand why one would even open a thread if they found the title upsetting. And what part of that title doesn't make it pretty clear that the post isn't primarily about cooking? So why would "OT" in the title make any difference?

You have a wonderful writing style, and your posts are always fun and interesting to read. I, too, love reading about the efforts and accomplishments of your grandkids! So please don't stop sharing them with us!

Now we're all (well, except one obviously) looking forward to seeing pictures of and reading about what kind of cupcakes Maddie chooses, and how many sprinkles she can get on them!

Have a great, negative free, weekend! !

Rusty

PS. . . . . That new hair cut is absolutely perfect for that adorable little face! ! !

• chas045
    8 years ago

'You have a wonderful writing style, and your posts are always fun and
    interesting to read. I, too, love reading about the efforts and
    accomplishments of your grandkids! So please don't stop sharing them
    with us!'

Exactly!

At this point there are 59 posts in this thread and the majority of them are ON the topic, not on the issue of 'off topic' issues. I assume that Nancy (who has been on this forum for years) also doesn't mind hearing about your family, but that she felt that new readers might be put off from a lack of introduction and inclusion.

When I was first brousing or lurking on this forum years ago, I recall a long thread where one poster did feel excluded re several issues including who or what was 'Monkey Princess'. I didn't know either, although I had almost figured it out, and it certainly didn't prevent me from learning about new foods or methods or getting answers from you all. It's all good; relax.