SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cmw829

Can I connect 3 strand Romex to a 2 strand wire? How to ground?

cmw829
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hello.

Short summary - I am trying to hang direct wire AMAX under cabinet lights at the front edge of the cabinet. 3 strand Romex (hot, neutral, ground) was run through the walls and exits just under the cabinet at the back edge. Per local code, Romex may not be exposed.

AMAX does not have a direct wire module option, i.e. "junction" box that connects Romex to a jumper cable that runs to a port on the light. The fixture comes with a wire for a plug in option (connector to the port on one end with a receptacle plug on the other).

I have the idea of using a direct wire module for a Juno light. Cutting the AMAX receptacle plug off the wire and joining the wire to the Romex. Then running the other end of the AMAX wire with the port connector to the fixture. However, the AMAX wire is only hot and neutral. Is it an appropriate installation to splice this with Romex and ground only the Romex to the green wire in the direct wire module? (I know I can, but should I?)

(I got this idea from the manner in which the direct wire module connects to the Juno light - though the Juno light uses a 3 strand wire with hot, neutral, ground.)

Alternatively, could I use part of the Juno wire - splicing it in the direct wire module to the Romex (as it would be done if I were using a Juno fixture) and bringing the other end of the Juno wire into the AMAX fixture, wiring it as if the Romex went directly in to the fixture, as is intended? The Juno wire is intended to be exposed for a "code compliant installation".

Convoluted, yes. My contractor hasn't heard this idea yet. He has suggested locating the fixtures at the back wall (which does not provide optimum light to the counter) or choosing a different light that has a direct wire module option. To do so would be double the cost (not out of the question but not preferable). Also, my preference is 4000k light which is not as available.

Thanks in advance for your comments. Apologies for the length of the post.

Comments (6)