SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aragall

Help understanding role of architects/interior designers/builder!

aragall
8 years ago

Hi everyone, I've recently purchased a property and am hoping this summer to start building a house for myself. I've gotten in touch with some architects and I'm really confused as to what role they play. I see a lot of comments on Houzz too from architects, where someone will ask them a question about something in a photo and they will say "please ask the builder" or "please ask the interior designer." So I don't quite understand where the architect's "territory" starts and stops when building a new house.

For example, we're going to put an island in the kitchen. We'd like it to house the dishwasher, some storage drawers, and maybe a refrigerator drawer etc. Does the architect not design the specs for this? It doesn't make sense to me that all of it just gets left up to the builder or the interior designer---what if you end up picking a certain dishwasher that is a few inches wider than planned, won't that mess up the island dimensions?

We're also hoping to have some built in storage, bookcases etc. Does the architect not design those? what about outside---do you not specify to the architect the type and color of the roofing and so on?

I thought all of this was under the umbrella of the architect but I'm getting mixed messages. If anyone could help clear this up for me I would really appreciate it!

Comments (6)