SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homestuff_gw

Designer v. Architect v. Builder

homestuff
10 years ago

Hello to all, new the forum. It's a great resource, I've been reading and searching for a while. I've already read some threads on this topic but I'd be grateful for your comments/advice.

We are looking to renovate/add to an older home (built a long, long time ago - 1800s). We actually hired an architect to do a design phase for us. We did enjoy working with him on the design phase which we have already paid for.

Now we're at the point we're needing to get thing drawn up and we are at a crossroads. We could have the architect do it ($$$), or get a home designer ($$), or get the builder to do the drawings himself ($). We really never considered a home designer. Frankly, didn't even know that that was an option (shame on me for not researching better).

The thing is the architect would cost about double of a home designer and a lot more than the builder. We're not sure whether to go with the home designer or the architect. Even at the high cost of the architect we're still not getting a lot of details in the plans. We just desperately want to make sure we get the layout and floor plan correct.

Any advice/comments/thought??

Comments (2)