SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamshed_gw

Splitting a 120v circuit off of 240v

Jamshed Mulla
9 years ago

I have a stacked washer/dryer in a second floor closet.

The original installer/builder only put a single 240v (30A) dryer circuit with 3-wire outlet in the closet because he probably assumed that the residents would always use a stacked unit which can be fed off of a single 240v circuit.

The units have never tripped the main 30A breaker in the electrical panel even when both are running together. This is surprising because the washer only has a cold water inlet, so it must also have a heating element.

Anyway, I would like to replace the W/D with a stackable pair which requires individual 240v and 120v circuits. My options are:

1) Run new 120v circuit from the main panel in the basement. I know this is the "purest" solution, but getting a new circuit to the second floor is near impossible.

2) Extend an existing 15A circuit from the adjacent room to the closet for an outlet for the washer. Not good because the washer needs its own dedicated circuit, I assume.

3) Install a secondary (small) 4-breaker box in the closet. Feed it with the existing 240v circuit and split into two separate circuits, 240v/30A for the dryer, 120v/15A for the washer.

Any comments/suggestions?

Comments (22)