SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saunaperson

120V and 240V appear to co-mingle

saunaperson
9 years ago

I'm definitely not an electrical expert, and in our bathroom remodel I came across an oddity. It looks like the 240V circuit that feeds the baseboard heat has it's neutral and one hot mixed into a 120V circuit. I can kill the 240V breaker and there's no power to the heating circuit, but the bathroom light (and vent hood on the other side of the wall) work, then if I turn it back on and kill the 120V the opposite is true.

We want to remove the basboard heat and safely dis-entangle those circuits, but I'm also curious why this would be setup like this. I found the same thing behind the thermostat for the living room baseboard heat. Two wires coming from the attic (one 240V one 120V) share a hot and a ground, then there's a termination into the thermostat and the 120V continues on to some kitchen outlets.This one is a bit more extreme in my mind since the 240V is 25A and the 120V is 15A ...just seems ...weird.

While I can easily just remove the wires from the main panel for the 240V circuits, I'm a bit concerned that there'll be some live electricity if I just dead-end all of the existing 240V wiring, leaving it touching the 120V wiring. So I'll want to remove the 120V from the 240V, and then hopefully everything will continue to work on the 120V circuits. Any explanations on why this setup was put into place would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
--=Chuck

Comments (7)