SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linrose_gw

Designers v. Installers - who wins?

linrose
17 years ago

OK, I know the subject is provocative, please forgive me. I just came back from a symposium which included a talk from a municipal "horticultural supervisor" who dissed Landscape Architects and other designers as hands off, no brains for plants types who just stamped drawings from their cozy offices without ever visiting the site. Granted he was trying to make a point about communication between LAs and contractors and lack of detail in drawings, like power line locations, both above and below ground etc. I've heard this scenario a thousand times.

But he had no solution to the problem. So I guess the whole talk was just a bull session. I hope he vented some deep seated anger issues to relieve his angst. Truth be told there is a huge gap between contractors on a large project. That's why we have project managers, to deal with all the crap (LOL).

To get to my point - I hated the way he referred to one of the design elements as a bunch of rocks that you have to mow around. He deliberately played to the audience of Parks and Rec employees on maintenance issues and mocked the intent of the designer. Granted he had some valid issues including guarantees on plant material (usually the responsibility of the installer, not the LA or designer) and that plants specified by the designer are not alway available locally or are not suited for the particular site.

When I was working with architects and engineers it was the same thing. The engineers thought they had all the answers and the architects were just fancy schmancy designer artists who couldn't put up a respectably substantial building to save their lives.

I guess most of this rant should be directed specifically to the pros among us, but I think anyone can relate to the disparity. Of course, the larger the project, the greater the separation. But even in a small residential project there can be a separation, even between the homeowner and the designer, let alone the contractor.

Comments (8)