SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rune_moelbak

Help Choosing an Architect/ Builder for New House Construction

Rune Moelbak
3 years ago

I need to make a decision about an architect/ builder who can help me build a contemporary/ modern home on a lot I own in Houston. But I am having a hard time deciding which way to go, so I was hoping some of you could help me evaluate the following options:

Option 1. Go with a design-build firm (architectural services are all inclusive, design selections/ floor plans are value-engineered with the builder in mind, site inspection+ 3d models are included, but architectural fees are $48,000)

Option 2. Go with architect 1 who offers permit drawings, construction documents, and interior finishings selections (including wall materials, floors, light, but excluding faucets/ bathroom fixtures and so on, offers a 3d model of the house, does site inspection/ oversight at hourly charge, and charges $18,540)

Option 3. Go with the architect 2 who offers architecture plans, permit set designs, and interior design set that includes cabinet plans, flooring plans, material plans. windows and door schedule, and electrical plan (but no 3d model, finishes selection, or oversight/ site inspection for $6,000)

My evaluation:

I like the idea of design-build because of the cost control, value engineering, builder know-how, and lack of uncertainty, but it seems like the cost savings are substantial if I go with an architect only and bid out the project at the end (savings of $30,000). As for the 2 architects I don't really know how to compare them since they use different terminology to describe what's included, but if I go with the cheaper option it seems I would need to hire an interior designer to help with finishes selection. I also don't get a 3D model.

What do you all think is the best option?

Comments (25)