SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jrb451

Sporadic/Intermittent Internet Outages

8 years ago

I've been having the above problem with my Internet for the past couple of years. Sometimes I can go a few weeks with everything working fine and then my Internet speed will slow considerably and sometimes stop altogether. The modem lights will show Power - On, Receive - blinking, Send - Off, Online - Off and PC activity - blinking. I'll power off the modem, router and Ooma and then plug everything back in. Sometimes the Internet service comes back and many times it doesn't.

I'll call my ISP tech line to see if I'm part of a larger outage. Invariably, I'm the only house out. Sometimes they'll do a "re-set" for my modem while I have it unplugged. Most of the time it will get back on-line but it may take an hour or two to get back.

I may go through a week or so where this happens several times and then everything works fine.

I've asked if it was my modem and had two different techs tell me they didn't think so; that there's something weird going on with the line and they put in a tech service request for someone to come out and look at the line.

So, nobody contacts me and the cycle repeats. I call again and mention my previous calls and I'm told that there's no record of a service request being made. In discussing this the last time it happened, the tech guy thinks that a tech looks and sees that I'm back on-line and deletes the service request. The last request was supposed to be written in such a way as to prevent this from happening. It didn't.

Last night while trying to watch Netflix things started to slow down and freeze up. I went to speedtest.com to check the speed - .04MBS download when my plan is for 10.0MBS. Multiple power offs until we give up and watch something else. Everything's working today.

Finally have a tech coming out on Wednesday (fingers crossed) anyone venture to guess what's going on here?

TIA (Sorry for the rambling post)

Comments (15)