SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smarwaha2006

Furnace Vent Pipe Size.

smarwaha2006
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hello, I hired a HVAC person to re-route flu pipes for two 90% furnaces that are of 66000 BTU and 44000 BTU and are located in the basement mechanical room. My question is regarding vent pipe size. Currently builder of the house originally architect in a way that furnace has a 2 inch opening that is connected to 3 inch vent pipe going horizontal out to the house. I am in Washington DC Metro area.

Now, due to the space limitations and the fact that basement is finished, HVAC engineer is not able to run 3" pipes and want to reduce the size to 2 inch all the way in a horizontal setting out to the house. I am getting concerned and try to learn if there would be any impact of this in the future. I did my research and found out that BTU size of the furnace drives the flu pipe size. If the BTU is 80K or above, it is preferred to have 3 inch vent pipes, but HVAC person said BTU size normally doesn't change or change just a bit unless I add a new living space area to a house that will require more capacity of furnace and will need 3 inch vents.

I don't think that I will ever add a new living space to our house, but I wonder with the current square footage (2419 sq feet for 66000 BTU) and (1577 sq feet for 44000 BTU) will ever require 80000 BTU or more or a need of 3" vent flu pipes.

Any help is much appreciated!!

Thank you in advance.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner