SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angiebyte

Smell from heating vents / also gas furnace closet not vented....

angiebyte
13 years ago

Hello,

thank you in advance for any advice you may be able to offer. We are buying a house built in 1958. We just had the home inspection done, and he mentioned the following concerns about the gas furnace.

The closet the gas furnace is in, is not ventilated. The closet does not have a roof, but opens up into the attic. He does not think there is enough fresh air making it down to the furnace, and he does not think the fumes from the furnace are making it up into the attic.

He has instructed us to nail some gutter pipe (gutter pipe, because it is square, and will fit the limited space better than round pipe, but to mee gutter pipe seems awfully small diameter) into the closet to increase circulation. One peice going 12 inches into the attic, and another peice 12 inches off the floor. To me this seems awfully suspicious, I cant see how this will work, and I'm scared.

He also noticed that someone has stapled fibergalss insulation to the insed of the closet door, and we should remove that. That the entire door needs to be replaced with a very tight fitting door.

He said everything else was fine.

After he left, I used the bathroom and I noticed a strange smell coming from the vents. Like partially burnt natural gas. We have a ventless gas fireplace in our apt, and whenever we run it, it gives a strange gassy smell. It smells just like that. Not quite like rotten eggs additive- but not right, either. I also noticed the smell in the kitchen.

We left, but the next day, the realtor had the gas co out, and the could not find any gas leaks, etc and they did not smell what I had smelled the day before. But I know what I smelled, and my husband smelled it too.

The question is, are the instructions the inspector gave to ventilate that closet a good idea? Will nailing some pipes to the side walls of the closet really bring in fresh air and vent fumes to the attic?

What do you make of that smell from the floor vents?

Thank you so much in advance, we are due to move in a few weeks and need to know what to do, who to call, etc.

angie

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert