SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patslion

Improper heating of 1st floor with new system?

patslion
8 years ago

Hi; I live in New England in a ~5500 sq ft home and have a newly installed (July 2015) HVAC system consisting of Infinity Greenspeed heat pumps (heat+a/c), a Viessman VR1-40 oil furnace (for hot water/backup heat below 10 degrees F) and Carrier air handlers FE4aNB006 (5 ton I believe, 1 for 1st floor, another for 2nd floor). System has been working great (efficient, cool + heat) up until this morning. It happens to be our first cold snap since the install (temps around 0 degrees F). I had the 1st floor smart thermo set to maintain 67 overnight (then come up a degree or two during day), and came down to find it 63 degrees. The hydronic/furnance was running (green speeds have lockout at 12 currently), and I could feel heat at vents, but low flow rate and, again, temp way too low. I went into maint mode on my system's 1st floor smart thermo (separate from the 2nd floor thermo and handler) and found that the airflow was set to 800cfm for hydronic (vs. for the heat pumps they're set at a range from 753cfm to 1600cfm). To try things out, I upped the hydronic to 1600 cfm…the system, as expected, began to pump out more air. It's taking a while, but I'm seeing the ambient temp now come up a bit (after 3 hrs its up to 67F)…granted exterior temp is also up to 11F by now. Questions I have are: any issue upping that cfm (and if so why did installer have it at 800?); and, does the behavior sound expected or do I have an issue somewhere?

Comments (9)